Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Undercommons holds anti-Trump event Wednesday after election results

UCLA students shared their thoughts on election results by writing messages on the ground with chalk Wednesday. (Kuhelika Ghosh/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Kuhelika Ghosh

Students wrote emotional messages on the ground with chalk at a “Fuck Trump” event held Wednesday.

About 50 students attended the event organized by the student group Undercommons at Janss Steps from 10 a.m. to noon.

The Undercommons is an organization on campus that holds educational sessions on topics such as racism, sexism and Islamophobia, said Joan Donovan, an organization member and a graduate student in society and genetics. She added the group aims to bring people together to hold conversations on such topics.

“After yesterday’s results, many of our friends were feeling sad and threatened,” Donovan said. “We wanted to come together to provide a space for people to grieve and organize their thoughts.”

[Related: Students react with disbelief at Donald Trump presidential election win]

At the event, people shared their thoughts by writing messages on the ground, Donovan added. Some of the messages included “I’ll take care of you Fam”, “White supremacy reigns in the USA”, “It’s time to get to work” and “#TrumpIsNotMyPresident.”

Marques Vestao, an Undercommons member and a graduate student in history said he thinks the messages provided a space for people to process their thoughts and feelings.

“We need to organize ways to participate to help protect people targeted by Trump’s administration,” Vestao said.

Alexis Cabrera, a fourth-year linguistics and philosophy student, said she did not know about the event but saw the crowd sitting at Janss Steps and joined it.

“I think a lot of people don’t know (what the event is) but they want some kind of explanation or answer,” Cabrera said. “Everyone has the same confusion and anger (after last night’s results).”

[Related: Students protest Trump victory early Wednesday morning]

KT Bender, a geography graduate student, said she thinks the event was significant as it was a result of ongoing events. She added she thinks the event reminded people that communities of color have struggled and continue to struggle.

“Hopefully more people will become involved as they are better able to articulate problems of white supremacy (and other problems),” Bender said.

Jasmine Contreras, a third-year sociology student, said she was drawn to the crowd without knowing what it was. She added she found comfort in being with people that shared her anger towards Trump.

“(Trump) has an army of 60 million people behind him,” Vestao said. “You know that fight is coming.”

Vestao added the Undercommons will hold another gathering on politics beyond elections Nov. 16.

Contributing reports from Erica Drake, Daily Bruin contributor.

Kuhelika Ghosh | Features & Student Life editor
Ghosh is the assistant news editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She covers features on UCLA students, faculty and staff, obituaries, events on campus, Greek life and the Hill. She was previously a Features & Student Life news contributor and an opinion columnist.