Tuesday, June 25, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

Football scouting report: BYU

BYU’s offense relies on the deep ball, and goes to it frequently. One third of BYU quarterback Tanner Mangum’s pass attempts this year have been for 15 yards or longer. (Creative Commons photo by osubeaver2000 via flickr)

By Matt Joye

UCLA football faces its first ranked opponent of the season this Saturday – No. 19 BYU. The No. 10 Bruins (2-0) have won each of their first two games in runaway fashion while the Cougars (2-0) have pulled off two last-minute upsets in their first two games.

Here’s a scouting report on what BYU brings to the table offensively and defensively heading into its 7:30 p.m. matchup at the Rose Bowl on Saturday.

BYU’s offense
Base formation: Varied (mostly shotgun, but with some pistol and I-formation)
Tendency: Throw deep, take risks downfield
Blocking style: Zone
Strength: Tall wide receivers
Weakness: Running backs
X-factor: QB Tanner Mangum

UCLA’s secondary hasn’t been tested much in the first two games; that will change drastically on Saturday when BYU comes to town. The Cougars’ quarterback – freshman Tanner Mangum – has shown an inclination to throw the ball deep whenever possible. Thirteen of Mangum’s 39 pass attempts this season have been throws of 15 yards or longer, and many times those throws have led to success for BYU.

Mangum has shown that he will throw deep regardless of how tight the coverage is, because BYU’s receivers have a drastic height advantage over their defensive back counterparts. Three of the Cougars’ top five receivers measure in at 6-foot-5 or taller, leaving Mangum the ability to just throw it up and aim for the jump-ball advantage. This strategy isn’t indomitable, however, as the plays below illustrate.

NCAA FB 2015 - W2 - Boise State at BYU

NCAA FB 2015 - W2 - Boise State at BYU

If there’s one nuance that UCLA’s corners need to beware of in Mangum’s game, it’s that he loves rolling out of the pocket and throwing – particularly to his right side. Nine of Mangum’s 39 passes this year have come when he rolls right, and his game-winning touchdown passes at Nebraska and vs. Boise State both came when he rolled out to the right. So UCLA may want to employ a defensive end contain defense against BYU on Saturday.

If UCLA’s defense can stop Mangum on Saturday, the Bruins should win easily because the Cougars don’t have a strong running game to fall back on. BYU struggled mightily to run the ball in each of its first two games and only started seeing success once Mangum started to get on a roll passing the ball in the third quarter against Boise State last week.

BYU’s defense
Base defense: 3-4
Blitz tendency: Moderate to frequent
Strength: Defensive front
Weakness: Defensive backs
X-factor: CB Micah Hannemann

There’s been a lot of talk this week about the BYU defense being physical and imposing – similar to the Stanford teams that have troubled UCLA in the past.

In reality, the Cougars’ defense has a very strong front three, but a very breakable back eight. The Cougars’ secondary, in particular, is porous, ranking No. 106 in the country in pass yards allowed per game. UCLA freshman quarterback Josh Rosen has shown a desire to throw the deep ball in his first two games, and he may have his best opportunity to do so against BYU.

NCAA FB 2015 - W2 - Boise State at BYU

BYU @ Nebraska 2015 One Hour

BYU is much better with rushing defense, ranking No. 25 in the nation in rush yards allowed per game. But if the Bruins can get past the initial push from the Cougars’ strong defensive line, they can exploit a group of BYU linebackers who’ve had issues tackling at times.

Overall, the UCLA offense should be trying to go to the perimeter against BYU – to avoid the Cougars’ stout front three. And that’s exactly what offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone does with his medley of bubble screen pass plays to the receivers on the edge.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.

Cheviot Hills furnished room for rent. $1500/month, a double room with bathroom [email protected]