Wednesday, June 26, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

Los Angeles Public Library in Westwood celebrates 10th anniversary

Bruin Harmony, UCLA’s all-male a capella group, sings on the steps of the Los Angeles Public Library’s Westwood branch Saturday. (Friends of Westwood Public Library)

By Shreya Maskara

The original version of this article contained multiple errors. It incorrectly stated that Shahla Chamanara has been working in the library since the library opened. In fact, she started working in the library in late 2005. The article also incorrectly stated that the Friends of Westwood Library holds book sales two to three times a year. In fact, the organization holds book sales four times a year. The article also incorrectly stated that about 50 people attended the celebration. In fact, hundreds of people attended the celebration throughout the day.

Five-year-old children crowded the community room of the Los Angeles Public Library in Westwood as they took turns holding Snuggles the python, and squealed as they took pictures with someone dressed up as Harry Potter.

On Saturday, hundreds of people attended the 10th anniversary celebration of the Los Angeles Public Library’s Westwood branch, located on Glendon Avenue.

Shahla Chamanara, manager of the library, who has been working there since late 2005, said she has loved watching kids grow up with the library.

She said she has seen kids who used to come to the library as toddlers for story time grow up to become volunteers at the library to help younger kids help read and pick out books.

Westwood families walked through orange and white balloon arches to attend events at the library. Music groups, magicians and reptile experts performed at various events. The library’s staff was recognized during a special ceremony held in the afternoon.

The refreshments table in the community room featured about 200 cupcakes that were each decorated with a tiny candy book, featuring titles such as “The Cat in the Hat,” “Goodnight Moon,” “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “Harry Potter.”

Linda Blank, a member of the board of directors of the Friends of Westwood Library and a Westwood resident for the past 45 years, said she realizes the importance of the library in the community whenever she sees a line of patrons stretching out of the front door in the morning.

“I have been to all the libraries in the city, but the sense of family that I feel in this library is certainly the most,” said Laurence Moore, who has worked as a security guard at several Los Angeles public libraries over the past 27 years.

The Westwood branch also holds book sales four times a year, during which it sells hardcover and paperback books for as low as 50 cents.

Laura Barnes, the children’s librarian who has been working in the library for the past two years, said she thinks the most rewarding part of her job is helping kids discover new genres.

Barnes said she can recall a girl who said she disliked science fiction books and reintroduced the genre to her with a list of new books.

“After a few months, she told me that she couldn’t read anything else,” Barnes said.

Three years ago, funding difficulties forced the library to cut down its working hours and days to keep costs low. Blank said its financial situation has improved since then, and the board hopes to expand the community room and establish a permanent bookstore in the next few years.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor

Cheviot Hills furnished room for rent. $1500/month, a double room with bathroom [email protected]