USAC accepting Election Board chair applications

By Samantha Tomilowitz

The undergraduate student government is looking for a student to run a special election for two councilmember positions in the fall.

The application for the Undergraduate Students Association Council Election Board chair, who is responsible for overseeing USAC elections, is due online Friday.

The Election Board chair is responsible for appointing other members of the Election Board, setting election schedules and screening potential candidates. Students who take on the position are required to be politically neutral so they are not partial to any slate running candidates in an election.

A special election will take place in fall quarter to fill a general representative seat and new transfer student representative position on the council, requiring USAC President Devin Murphy to appoint an Election Board chair in time to run the race.

Murphy said he wants to fill the position by August because the new chair will need time to plan the upcoming election.

USAC presidents have struggled to find students in the past who are qualified for and available to take on the Election Board chair position and have often missed the deadline for the appointment.

Applications are due online by 5 p.m. Friday to the USAC Office of the President.

Compiled by Samantha Tomilowitz, Bruin senior staff.

Samantha Tomilowitz