Joy Sticks: _'Gamer' label on products promotes elitism within community_

By Matthew Overstreet

In this column, as in real life, I’ve tried to avoid using the term “gamer,” and I’ve done this for several reasons. Besides the fact that the term itself is sometimes condescending and only serves to both divide the gaming community and create an air of exclusivity, it’s also used much more commonly as a marketing ploy.

I first became aware of this sometime in high school, when Mountain Dew released Game Fuel. While it certainly wasn’t the first time I’d seen a product directed at a specific group of people, I thought it was strange that something like soda would need to be tailored toward video game enthusiasts.

I thought, wait a minute, Game Fuel? What does that even mean? This is just regular Mountain Dew, but in slightly different flavors. Why can’t we just buy regular soda? What gaming-specific advantages does buying Game Fuel bring me?

The ultimate question is, why is it necessary for companies to create “gamer”-specific versions of their product when there is no reason that the players couldn’t just buy the regular product? Mountain Dew Game Fuel actually now offers in-game bonuses for “Call of Duty” players, but a more extreme example of unnecessary “gamer” tie-in would be Gamer Grub. According to the Gamer Grub website, it’s “a great tasting snack mix packed with select vitamins and neurotransmitters to keep you focused and quick. Gamer Grub is designed to support the activities you do while gaming and multitasking.”

I personally have had the opportunity to try Gamer Grub, and it’s not much more than a Chex Mix-style snack packet. For what it is, it’s not half bad, but it problematically implies that this snack food is for gamers only. What about this snack makes it specific to gamers? Why can’t gamers enjoy regular snack mixes, and why can’t non-gamers enjoy this snack?

This idea of gamers as some sort of “other” or separate entity from the rest of “normal society” is an idea that has been perpetuated by many video game enthusiasts. As the innermost circle of “gamers” tightens up and separates itself from “non-gamers,” it becomes a bit of a badge of honor to be termed a “gamer.” Not everyone who earns that badge is ready to give it up.

These gamer-specific products have tended to do well in the past because these hardcore gamers see the title as a source of pride; it’s a sign of the hours and hours they’ve put into their favorite games. Buying Gamer Grub or Mountain Dew Game Fuel is just another way for them to show that, yes, they are gamers. And they’re proud of it.

I’m not saying that being proud of playing video games is a bad thing at all. What I am saying is that the term “gamer” is often not the sign of accomplishment the video game community wants it to be. If we need some kind of physical reminder of the hours we’ve put into our digital passion and the accomplishments we’ve achieved, it shouldn’t be a label like “gamer,” and it certainly shouldn’t be products marketed toward us as if we weren’t allowed to buy regular soda like everyone else.

What we should show off are the achievements we’ve made, the life lessons we’ve learned and the friendships we’ve forged through our games. If you can’t do that, then you probably wouldn’t be considered a “gamer” by hardcore players, but it doesn’t mean you aren’t enthusiastic about video games.

If you want to discuss the merits of “gamer”-specific products, or if you just want to hear more rants and raves, email Overstreet at [email protected]. “Joy Sticks” runs every Thursday.

Matthew Overstreet