Women's golf heads to Stanford University Golf Course for the Pac-10/SEC Challenge

By Anne Paik

The sprawling green flats of the Stanford University Golf Course will be the backdrop of the inaugural Pac-10/Southeastern Conference Challenge for women’s golf.

The tournament ““ held Friday through Sunday ““ will conclude the UCLA women’s golf team’s fall season, which has included a distant seventh place finish at the Fall Preview in Texas and a strong third place finish at the Wilmington Landfall in North Carolina.

The tournament will include 21 teams from the Pac-10 or SEC conferences, 10 of which are ranked in the Top 25 and seven of which are in the Top 10, with the Bruins coming in at No. 4.

The Bruins who will be in attendance are junior Brianna Do, freshman Ani Gulugian, sophomore Tiffany Lua, junior Stephanie Kono and senior Glory Yang.

Coach Carrie Forsyth describes Stanford University Golf Course as straightforward and fair, albeit dotted with deceptively tricky greens that can fool golfers into thinking they are wide and smooth.

With the graduation of Sydnee Michaels, the captain and most veteran golfer on last year’s team, others will have to step in and collectively fill her shoes. A lot of the weight falls on Kono, arguably the star player on the team. Lua also placed as the joint-leading scorer in the Wilmington Landfall Tournament. Gulugian, despite having not played on the Stanford course, will also be counted on.

Despite facing tough competition and the loss of Michaels, Forsyth is confident that her players will rise to the occasion and that any one of her five golfers has the capability to be the leading scorer for the tournament.

And given the trophy chest and honors these golfers share, Forsyth’s confidence is well placed.

Anne Paik