Soothing tunes to smooth out fall quarter stress

By Maryia Krivoruchko

As fall quarter gets started and midterms begin long before the middle of the term, music can set a relaxing mood amid the stress. While a classic “Moonlight Sonata” always aids focus and eases a worried mind, sometimes the studying playlist needs updating. Here are some choice songs to listen to while cramming for exams or writing the first paper of the quarter.

“Stereo Love”

Edward Maya featuring Vika Jigulina

With the unconventional sound of an accordion in the background, this Europop hit can relax a troubled mind, and is more evocative of studying on a Greek island than hitting up Club Powell.

“Canvas”

Imogen Heap

The poignant and rhythmic single from her new album “Ellipse” is ideal for pacing keyboard strokes as you type away into the early morning. Heap’s signature vocals won’t let you doze off.

“Les Draps Sourds”

Marianne Dissard

This French waltz-like song graces the listener with Dissard’s deep and smoky voice. This track is light, not distracting, and could even inspire a great topic for that French composition due tomorrow.

“Genius Next Door”

Regina Spektor

If nothing else, taking a minute to figure out the meaning behind the cryptic lyrics is an excellent study break.

“Uprising”

Muse

While the single from the album released this week may not have you unwind as much as Mozart’s “Requiem,” the electronic background and trademark Muse sound is great to help you wake up and catch your second wind when that term paper is only halfway done.

“Bu Böyle”

Sertab Erener

This Turkish pop star’s latest hit is marked by exotic wind instruments, strong percussion and entrancing sliding vocals. As long as you don’t break off into a dance instead of slaving away on your assignment, this song is great to play in the background.

“And Winter Came”

Enya

The entire album is typically Enya ““ relaxing, calming and repetitive. Though all of the songs are very similar, it’s a great pick if you find lyrics distracting when you study.

“Me Again”

Uncle Kracker

Not many may think of the country genre as a great study tool. Yet this song’s soulful duet vocals and down-home sound are somehow incredibly motivating. It might not sound true, but hear it for yourself.

“Quelqu’un M’a Dit”

Carla Bruni

The acoustic guitar and Bruni’s pleasant vocals will have your head nodding along, yet the song isn’t distracting enough to jeopardize your grade. It’s calm and perfect for listening to while you skim a novel or a textbook.

Maryia Krivoruchko