Westwood residents creating neighborhood council

By Carolyn McGough

A group of Westwood residents is in the working stages of creating a certified neighborhood council that will represent their needs and concerns to the city of Los Angeles.

There are currently about 96 neighborhood councils in the city, but Westwood is one of three districts that are not part of such a group. Brentwood and the Pacific Palisades are the other two.

“We want to become a certified neighborhood council … with a real grassroots feeling that everyone has a say,” said Roxanne Stern, a Westwood resident who has helped to organize the council.

After official recognition, Stern said the council would be given a budget that could be used to “improve the neighborhood.”

She said that money will be used for neighborhood improvements, citing attaining books for the library and beautification of Westwood as items the council could potentially address.

“That’s where we are now ““ the city has to certify,” she said.

Stern said the Westwood Neighborhood Council will be in accordance with the authorized plan of the Department of Neighborhood Empowerment of Los Angeles. The boundaries of the council would be between Santa Monica and Sunset Boulevards, reaching on either side of UCLA’s campus, according to the council Web site.

But not all Westwood residents are in favor of such a formation, Stern said.

There are four homeowners associations in Westwood that are against the formation. Sandy Brown, president of the Holmby-Westwood Property Owners Association, voiced concerns over the effectiveness of neighborhood councils.

“I’m not opposed to neighborhood councils, I’m opposed to our specific boundary being involved in a neighborhood council,” Brown said. “We’re an organization that has supported the community in our boundaries for over 50 years, and I think it wouldn’t be in the best interest of those people in our boundaries (to join the council).”

She said neighborhood councils are “strictly advisory,” adding that they “have no power.”

“It’s putting your efforts toward something that advises and really doesn’t do anything,” she said. “You’re considered part of the city family, and you can’t challenge it if a decision is made. You are part of what the city is.”

Nevertheless, Stern and other concerned citizens find the formation of the council to be important, as they are looking for a way to reach out and work with the city in a grassroots effort to invite positive change.

Stern said the homeowners associations may have a great deal of influence and could hinder the official recognition of the council.

“They do well for their constituents, but we’re trying to give everyone a voice,” she said. “If there’s an issue for students that affects them ““ like parking or rent control ““ this is a way for everybody to get involved.”

Brown, on the other hand, said her homeowners associations already works closely with UCLA to ensure student representation. Three graduate houses on Hilgard Avenue currently under construction are a part of the association, and homeowners association members have met with the chancellor to discuss university cooperation.

Furthermore, Brown said students have a different perspective than she and other more permanent constituents.

“(Students) do have a different perspective,” she said. “They’re here for four years, and they’re studying and they don’t have the same financial commitment that a business owner has, or a homeowner.”

Further details of the neighborhood council’s official recognition process will be discussed at tonight’s meeting. The meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Westwood Presbyterian Church, 10822 Wilshire Blvd.

Carolyn McGough