Week three: UC Regents settlement, Westwood Forward slate, 800 Degrees, Dribble for the Cure

(Courtney Fortier/Daily Bruin)

By Elizabeth Hanczor

This Week in the News serves as the Quad’s space for reflection on current events at and around UCLA. Every week, Daily Bruin staffers will analyze some of the most significant stories to keep readers up to speed.

We’ve been back in school for three weeks now, but somehow it feels like 30. From a fan-favorite local restaurant closing to the University of California Board of Regents’ handling of a sexual harassment case in San Francisco, this last week has hardly been a quiet seven days. Here are the Quad’s top picks for this week’s big stories.

UC Board of Regents reaches settlement following sexual harassment claim

web.quad.weeklyreview.1.KH.jpg
(Kristie-Valerie Hoang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

The University of California Board of Regents settled a sexual harassment case against Stanton Glantz, the director of the UC San Francisco Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, this week.

Glantz was accused of making lurid remarks toward, staring and forcing embraces on a former postdoctoral researcher. Glantz denied the accusations and said the decision to settle came sheerly out of the Board of Regents’ economic interests. However, an internal UCSF investigation deemed Glantz’s behavior to, in fact, be sexual harassment.

Glantz is also facing an additional sexual harassment suit filed by a research assistant who claims Glantz ogled her breasts and exploited her Native American heritage for funding. If Glantz does not complete additional sexual harassment and proper workplace conduct training, UCSF has proposed putting a censure in his file for five years.

Westwood Forward’s meet-the-candidates events emphasize grassroots campaigning

web.ns.WFcampaign.ADX.jpg
(Amy Dixon/Photo editor)

After the success of the Westwood Forward campaign, a number of students, lecturers, Westwood residents, shop owners and more are now running for positions on the North Westwood Neighborhood Council.

The Westwood Forward movement formally subdivided neighborhood council jurisdiction of the Westwood area and aims to give students a greater voice in topics like housing and nightlife. Ten of the candidates hosted an event Oct. 10 and 11 to introduce themselves to Westwood stakeholders.

At the event, Alisha Ranadive, a candidate and pediatrician at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, said their slate plans to mimic the social media presence and face-to-face campaigning they utilized during the Westwood Forward campaign.

Additionally, running on a slate is expected to prove beneficial to their success, according to several candidates. Cameron Keller, a member of Westwood Forward and the selection committee for the slate, told the Bruin that slates help candidates reach out to more people during the campaign process.

800 Degrees shutters Lindbrook location after six years in Westwood

800 Degrees Wood Fired Kitchen closed its Westwood location Monday. The restaurant opened back in 2012, serving Neapolitan pizza to students and Westwood natives alike for more than six years.

However, the former Westwood fixture is far from gone – there are four other locations across the city, just a quick Uber ride away from campus. 800 Degrees became a fan favorite in Westwood with their “Pizza of the Day” special. This Instagram-followers-only deal warranted 50 percent off the featured pizza in their latest post. While the pizzeria will no longer maintain its presence in Westwood, students can look forward to trying the new food spots sprouting up throughout the Village.

Former UCLA basketball player leads 11th annual Dribble For The Cure

quad.weeklyreview.2.AN.jpg
(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

The 1th Dribble for the Cure event took place Sunday.

Back in 2008, UCLA hosted the first Dribble for the Cure event under the inspiration of alumnus John Vallely. After years of watching his daughter fight a rare cancer of the soft muscle tissue, personally fighting non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and dedicating his time and efforts on the board of directors for the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation, Vallely launched this event to raise money for PCRF and the Cancer Research Program at Mattel Children’s Hospital.

Participants of all ages dribble a basketball over a 1 mile course and raise money through pledges. UCLA women’s and men’s basketball players have played a significant role in the fundraiser from the beginning, signing autographs at the end of the mile-long course.

Elizabeth Hanczor