USAC recap – Oct. 9

On-Campus Housing Council said its constitution was modified without consulting student officers or students at Tuesday’s USAC meeting. (Liz Ketcham/Assistant Photo editor)

By Melissa Morris

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! channel on YouTube.

Public comment:

• Students said they will host a town hall Wednesday in the Student Activities Center at 6 p.m. to voice concerns about a new UCLA policy that would appoint operators to increase camera surveillance on campus.

• Former councilmember Justin Jackson said he hopes to be appointed as election board chair.

Special presentations:

• Jeremy Barrett, a fourth-year business economics student, advocated for his UCLA Piano Project, which will place a public piano on campus this quarter.

Agenda:

• Representatives from the On-Campus Housing Council said their constitution was modified without consulting student officers or students. USAC and OCHC members discussed what actions they could take to prevent changes without student approval in the future.

• The council allocated a total of $4,625 from the contingency programming fund to non-USAC groups.

• The council discussed instances of anti-Semitism across the UC and considered ways to express the need for tolerance at UCLA.

• The council appointed Nadiya Komzyuk, Nancy Alvares and David Minasyan as members of the Finance Committee.

Reports:

• President Claire Fieldman said her office is collecting feedback about ongoing Title IX trainings for members of Greek life. She also said she will meet with the Interfraternity Council president Wednesday to create a forum for discussion with USAC.

• General Representative 1 Ayesha Haleem said her office is working to create an emergency, credit-bearing course for international students who need to drop a class late in the quarter so they have enough units to maintain their visas. International students’ visas are invalid unless they are enrolled in at least 12 units per quarter.

• General Representative 3 Eduardo Solis said his office is campaigning to get UCLA administration to divest from businesses that work with Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

• Financial Supports Commissioner Jay Manzan said his office met with CalFresh representatives to strategize on ways to bring CalFresh to Associated Students UCLA facilities.

• Student Wellness Commissioner George Louis Faour said his office’s subcommittee BruiNecessities is finalizing details to open its first menstruation station on the Hill. The station will provide free feminine hygiene products to students.

Melissa Morris | Alumna
Morris was previously the 2020-2021 Editor in chief. She was also the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor as well as the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat.