Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Service will deliver scooters to front doorsteps, catering to early Bird riders

(Daily Bruin file photo)

By Sydney Coneeny

Electric scooter riders in Los Angeles will be able to have scooters delivered to their front doors.

Electric scooter company Bird Rides, Inc. announced Thursday it plans to launch its new service Bird Delivery, which is designed to aid riders who want to make scooters a regular fixture of their daily travel. The scooters will be delivered to riders by 8 a.m, and riders will be able to keep them for the day. The announcement did not describe how the scooters would be delivered, nor did it mention any potential fees or added expenses for the service.

Bird has not said when the delivery service will be available, but are encouraging riders to sign up for the delivery service waitlist on its website.

The company also recently announced plans to release a new fleet of scooters in partnership with China-based electric scooter company Zhejiang Okai Vehicle Co., Ltd. The upgraded scooters will feature a wider rider deck, puncture-proof tires, extended battery life and a digital screen on the handle bars that will display information such as current speed and remaining battery life.

Los Angeles, Nashville, Atlanta and three other U.S. cities will be the first to test ride the new line of scooters.

Sydney Coneeny | City and Crime editor
Coneeny is the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the City and Crime beat. She was previously a contributor for the National News and Higher Education beat. She is a second-year pre-global studies student from the east coast.