School of Medicine receives $10M grant to develop women’s health treatment

The David Geffen School of Medicine received $10 million to improve the school’s women’s health curriculum and fund a new chair position. (Amy Dixon/Photo editor)

By Teddy Rosenbluth

The David Geffen School of Medicine received $10 million Thursday to expand treatment and education in women’s health care.

Iris Cantor, a philanthropist based in New York City and Los Angeles, donated $8 million to improve the medical school’s women’s health curriculum.

UCLA will use the other $2 million to fund a chair position, the Iris Cantor Endowed Chair in Women’s Health. The community advisory board of the Iris Cantor Women’s Health Center also raised $2 million for the chair, raising the endowment to $4 million. Janet Pregler, the current director of the Iris Cantor Women’s Health Center, will fill the position.

Pregler is a women’s health expert and doctor of internal medicine. She is also the principal investigator for the National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health at the University of California, San Francisco.

Cantor has donated millions of dollars to UCLA in the past to fund projects related to women’s health. She helped create the Iris Cantor–UCLA Women’s Health Center, a medical center specifically focused on women’s care.

She also created the Iris Cantor Center for Breast Imaging and the Iris Cantor–UCLA Women’s Health Education & Resource Center, a nonprofit organization that provides health education to women in the Los Angeles community.

Teddy Rosenbluth
Rosenbluth is the assistant News editor for the Science and Health beat. She was previously a News contributor for the science and health beat. She is a third-year psychobiology student who loves learning about evolutionary biology and neuroscience.