Female rapper CupcakKe announced as opener for Bruin Bash 2018

UCLA’s 15th annual Bruin Bash will feature opener CupcakKe. The rapper often creates music with with sexual themes and titles, such as “Deepthroat.” (Courtesy of CupCakKe)

By Eli Countryman

Bruin Bash has announced CupcakKe as the 2018 opener.

The Cultural Affairs Commission and the Campus Events Commission took to social media Monday to inform students of the annual Bruin Bash, creating a Facebook event to share the Sept. 24 concert. Friday morning, the event page posted that the first performer in the lineup will be female American rapper CupcakKe. Tickets will be available online to students starting Sept. 17 and will be distributed to the first people to claim them, as opposed to the lottery system used in prior years.

The female rapper is known for songs like “Deepthroat” and “Vagina,” and also released an album titled “Ephorize,” earlier this year. Many of her songs deal with pro-sex topics.

Fourth-year English student Alley Madison, speaking on behalf of CEC and CAC, said they chose CupcakKe as a performer for Bruin Bash because her music covers sexuality from the female perspective.

“CupcakKe is an artist who has consistently been progressive, bold and fearless in her music, addressing topics and issues the music industry does not usually support women speaking out on,” Madison said. “She challenges a lot of cultural conventions and norms surrounding femininity and sexuality in a lot of her music.”

An Instagram post by @uclacec, the CEC’s account, stated that the full lineup will be announced on Wednesday, Sept. 12.

Eli Countryman | Alumnus
Countryman served as a senior staff writer. He was previously the 2018-2019 Music | Arts editor and an A&E reporter.