State Supreme Court eliminates ballot measure to split California into three

By Melissa Morris

The California Supreme Court removed a November ballot measure aimed at dividing California into three states.

The ballot measure, also known as Proposition 9, was funded by venture capitalist Tim Draper. The proposition would have split California into three states with smaller populations and more localized power.

The court said it voted unanimously to remove the proposition because significant questions have been raised about its validity and because the court believes the potential harm in permitting the measure to remain on the ballot outweighs the potential harm in delaying the proposition to a future election.

The court added it would eventually rule on the measure’s constitutionality. A constitutional challenge against the proposition was filed by the Planning and Conservation League, an environmental group, last week.

Melissa Morris | Alumna
Morris was previously the 2020-2021 Editor in chief. She was also the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor as well as the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat.