Q&A: Daily Emerald editor shares outlooks on UCLA’s game against Oregon

The last time UCLA played Oregon, the Ducks took the win 94-91. Freshman guard Kris Wilkes led the Bruins with 21 points, and four others posted double-digit points. (Hannah Burnett/Assistant Photo editor)

By Ryan Smith

To get some inside information on the Oregon’s men’s basketball team, Daily Bruin Sports reached out to the Daily Emerald – University of Oregon’s student news publication – and asked its associate Sports editor Gus Morris a few questions about the Ducks before their upcoming game against the Bruins on Saturday.

Daily Bruin: This rivalry produced two of the best games from the entire season last year, and although neither team is as exciting as they were, what is the buzz around campus for this game?

Gus Morris: The buzz around the (Oregon) team has been kind of weird this year. Just the fact that in the last couple of years, it’s been the greatest two- or three-year run in Oregon basketball history. So the fact that the team isn’t as good this year kind of resonated a bit around campus. There’s not as much hype as there was the last couple of years, and also (because of) the fact that it’s an away game, some guys just don’t care as much.

But with that being said, Oregon is on the cusp; it is as much of a bubble team as you can get right now. People are definitely interested, people definitely care – I’d say in a different capacity, maybe not as much as they were the last couple of years. If (the Ducks) win out in this weekend, they’ll really improve their shot at making the tourney.

I’d say people are really interested in this (road trip), especially in the UCLA game. Oregon beat (UCLA) last time and I know (junior guard) Aaron Holiday didn’t have the best kind of game, but it was close until the end. I think a lot of eyes will be on this one for sure.

DB: Neither UCLA or Oregon have the NBA talent they did a year ago, but what matchups will you be keeping an eye on?

GM: I want to see (Oregon forward) Kenny Wooten and (senior center) Thomas Welsh. I’m not entirely sure, I’d have to look at the stats and whatnot and see how that game went last time, but I know (Wooten) was kind of having a bit of a down slump at that point, but he’s really turned it on the last couple of games. He is kind of inconsistent, but the team’s playing well as a whole, so I think that one will be a good one to watch.

I know (Oregon guard) Payton Pritchard and Holiday are always tough. Two undersized guards who do the same thing, but both can definitely fill it up. I know being that small, defense doesn’t always come the easiest, but I don’t know. I kind of feel like the point guard matchup, and especially the big matchups, is going to be big.

DB: With the game being played at Pauley Pavilion, how can Oregon shut out the crowd early and get off on the right foot?

GM: Defense has been what they’ve hung their hat on the last couple of games. I mean, they got blown out at Stanford a week ago, but since then they’ve held both Washington and Washington State under 40 percent shooting – and Washington was one of the hottest teams in the conference, and Oregon held it to 40 points, which was a season-low. I think it was one of the lowest ever at (Matthew Knight Arena).

So I think defensively, they’re going to come and have to set a tempo early on to grind it out. This isn’t the offensive powerhouse that Oregon has been in the past, but when it defends, it is one of the best teams in the country at defending.

Wooten is leading the conference in blocks right now and I know their deflections have gone up the last couple of games. So I think if they come out and go on a bit of a run, get some stops, maybe force UCLA to go like 3-for-10, 4-for-10 to start, you know, hold them. Turn some blocks and turnovers into points, I think that would be a great way to start for (Oregon).

DB: Both schools have nearly identical records this season, but which team do you think is better suited for postseason play, specifically the Pac-12 Tournament?

GM: I’m going to be honest. I think UCLA is.

I think Oregon is really young. I mean, it’s getting pretty substantial minutes from freshmen at this point in the season. And youth is always good, and athleticism is always good, but the reason Oregon did so well in the tourney the past couple of years is because they had experienced guys. And I think UCLA definitely has it.

I mean, Holiday is what, a junior? Welsh is a senior. And again, (UCLA) has some pretty good depth there too. (Freshman guard) Kris Wilkes is good. I do think UCLA is kind of built-to-be, or have a bit longer of a run.

With that being said, Oregon and UCLA have both been really inconsistent this year, so I don’t know. It’s going to be interesting to kind of see how both teams finish the year. I know UCLA was pretty hot. (UCLA) just got off of a four-game win streak and lost to Arizona State, but that four-game streak was one of the best they’ve had all year.

I know Oregon’s coming off the tough Stanford loss, but it’s clicking a bit better together right now too, and that’s been big for teams in the past. It may have a couple of losses here and there to start conference play (that) aren’t super great, but those teams always click at the end.

I feel like it’s kind of the same way for both teams right now. Both teams have a bit of momentum moving forward and I think it will be fascinating to see how it shakes out, but at this point, I’d give it to UCLA to make it a bit farther just because of the experience they have.

DB: Do you have a score prediction?

GM: I’m going to be a homer here. I’m going to say 79-74, Oregon. I feel like Oregon is playing well. I know UCLA is too, but I think the Ducks have their backs against the wall a little more so than (the Bruins do), and they’ve been playing like that the last couple of games. We’ll see, but that’s what I’m going with.

Ryan Smith | Alumnus
Smith joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2020. He was the Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf beats.