Students moved after reports of mold infestation in De Neve Holly

Students living in De Neve Holly were moved to Hedrick Summit on Thursday because of a mold infestation in the building. (Daily Bruin File Photo)

By Rupan Bharanidaran

Hundreds of students were moved from their rooms Thursday after reports of a mold infestation in an on-campus residential hall.

Around 500 students in the Academic Advancement Program’s summer freshman and transfer student program living in De Neve Holly were moved to Hedrick Summit by housing staff because of concerns of mold in several rooms, said AAP director Charles Alexander.

UCLA spokesperson Brian Haas said the mold, which is non-toxic and common during hot and humid months, was treated immediately.

Alexander said housing staff received reports of mold from several students a few weeks ago, and moved those students immediately to different rooms in the building. However, after more rooms were found to have mold, housing and program staff decided to move all students staying in De Neve Holly to Hedrick Summit, he said.

“We thought (the mold) was isolated, but it can’t be isolated if mold affects more than one room,” Alexander said.

Several students experienced symptoms such as coughing and pneumonia, Alexander said. He added the students will be staying in Hedrick Summit for the rest of their program.

Haas said the rooms will be inspected again prior to fall quarter move-in.

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.