UCLA football faces a formidable foe in rematch against Texas A&M

Junior quarterback Josh Rosen and the Bruins are set to face off against the Aggies after last year’s overtime loss in College Station, Texas. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Vikram Sairam

Three years ago, UCLA and Texas A&M agreed to a two-year home-and-home series for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

The Bruins will look to even the line with the Aggies after last year’s season-opening overtime loss. Currently, the spread is -4 in favor of UCLA, despite the Bruins’ 4-8 finish to last season.

Although A&M lost starting quarterback Trevor Knight to graduation, the Aggies’ offense has a flurry of weapons to rely on, including returning starters Christian Kirk at wide receiver and Trayveon Williams at running back­ – a combo that amassed nearly 2,000 yards of total offense last season.

Also in the mix will be running back Keith Ford, who split duties with Williams last year, rushing for nearly 700 yards himself.

On the defensive side of the ball, A&M loses two huge pieces from their line to the NFL, most notably first-overall pick Myles Garrett and third-rounder Daeshon Hall. However, the Aggies bring back three starters in the secondary ­– a unit that could very well be one of the most prolific in the country.

Both head coaches – the Aggies’ Kevin Sumlin and the Bruins’ Jim Mora – took the helm of their respective programs during the 2012 season.

While coordinators and assistant coaches have changed on both sides throughout the last five years – including offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone’s move from UCLA to Texas A&M in 2016 – both teams will get an early opportunity to see how they matchup against out-of-conference competition. The main question is whether UCLA can obtain its first win against an SEC team since beating Tennessee in 2009.

Here’s a breakdown of Texas A&M’s offensive and defensive schemes heading into Sunday’s matchup at the Rose Bowl.

Texas A&M’s offense

Base formations: Spread/Multiple
Run/Pass Ratio (in 2016): 51/49
Strengths: Explosive run game with veteran interior lineman
Weaknesses: Inexperienced quarterback
X Factor: Receiver Christian Kirk

The most notable change for the Aggies’ offense comes under center­­.

Trevor Knight accounted for over 3,000 yards of offense last season­ – throwing for 2,400 and rushing for just over 600. This season, Sumlin had yet to name his starting quarterback just one week from the season opener. The job is currently the subject of a three-way battle between Keller Mond, Nick Starkel and Jake Hubenak.

History suggests Mazzone prefers to utilize his quarterback in the running game, as seen during his tenure with Brett Hundley at UCLA and Knight last season. Knight led the team in rushing touchdowns last season with 10. Mazzone’s historical preferences could be challenged if the coaching staff opts for the more pro-style quarterbacks Starkel or Hubenak, versus the dual-threat option in Mond.

Regardless of who ends up being the starter, his job will be made easier with an offensive line that features three returning starters in center/guard Erik McCoy, guard Connor Lanfear and guard/center Colton Prater. Offensive line coach Jim Turner has been using the veteran linemen in different variations through fall camp in order to ease the transition for the pair incoming starting tackles – Keaton Sutherland and Koda Martin.

However, the undoubted playmaker on this team is wide receiver Kirk. Expect to see coach Mazzone use him in a multitude of ways just as he did all of last year. In addition to bringing in an average of 11.9 yards per reception in his career, the junior has a career average of 22.3 yards per return on punts as well as five returning touchdowns in two seasons. Not to mention he fell just 72 yards shy of having back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving campaigns.

via GIPHY

It would be unfair to exclude running back Williams when discussing playmakers on the Aggies. Having rushed for over 1,000 yards on 6.8 yards per carry as a freshman, Williams came into camp the unquestioned starter and will see the majority of the carries come Sunday.

At 5-feet-9-inches and 200 pounds, the Houston native is expected to have a breakout year following a selection to ESPN’s True Freshman All-America team at the conclusion of last season.

via GIPHY

UCLA finished 63rd in the country in rush defense last season, allowing opposing backs an average of 4.1 yards per carry and 171.5 rush yards per game. If the Bruins fail to stop the run, expect to see big play opportunities for Kirk and other receivers downfield.

Texas A&M’s defense
Base formation: 4-3
Blitz Tendency: Heavy
Strengths: Secondary
Weaknesses: Linebacker depth
X Factor: Defensive back Donovan Wilson

Defensive coordinator John “The Chief” Chavis is entering his 38th season as a football coach in the NCAA, splitting time with Texas A&M, Tennesee and LSU. Chavis has produced some of the best defensive backs in the NFL, such as pro-bowlers Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Matheiu, Eric Reid and Eric Berry.

Chavis has no shortage of talent in College Station, either­, with three quality defensive backs returning. Safety Armani Watts came back for his senior season and will be the leader in the secondary. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller pegs Watts as as a first-round pick in next year’s draft, as the 5-foot-11, 200-pound safety recorded 126 tackles in his sophomore season and 56 last year before missing the final four games with a leg injury.

In essence, he has a knack for finding the ball and will hit anything in his vicinity.

via GIPHY

Despite Watts’ presence all over the field, nickel cornerback Donovan Wilson might be the most exciting player in the secondary.

The Louisiana native started seven games at nickel last year and will see an extended role this season with the loss of starting corner Nick Harvey to injury. Wilson makes plays in the backfield like Watts, but can cover almost anyone man to man with his blazing speed.

One of Chavis’ trademark packages is called “Mustang,” a 3-2-6 alignment. An extra defensive back is brought in to play man-to-man coverage, while the nickel or safety – Wilson in this case – rushes the outside and makes a play in the backfield.

via GIPHY

Chavis uses a variety of such packages to bring extra pressure, as seen in last year’s matchup against the Bruins in which then-sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen was sacked five times and hurried 23. He and corner Priest Willis – a UCLA transfer – should be a formidable duo in charge of keeping receivers in check.

The Aggies’ weakness on defense lies in their linebacking corps. Returning starter Otaro Alaka will get the nod at outside linebacker, but the other two spots feature new faces in Tyrel Dodson and true freshman Anthony Hines. Expect to see fellow true freshman, Buddy Johnson, also in the rotation. The Bruins should look to attack the middle of the field in order to take advantage of the inexperienced unit.

The Aggies’ defensive line brings back defensive tackle Zaycoven Henderson and two veterans in defensive ends Qualen Cunningham and Jarret Johnson.

Overall, it appears as if this week’s contest between UCLA’s offense and Texas A&M’s defense will come down to who will be able to react to pressure more quickly. New offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch and Rosen will need to work together create success in the passing game, or else it’ll be an extremely tough outing for the Bruins.

Vikram Sairam | Alumnus
Sairam joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2018. He spent time on the football, women's soccer and track and field beats.