Track and field director to step down after 2017 season

Mike Maynard, who has been the director of track and field and cross-country for the past five years, will be stepping down from his position at the end of the 2017 outdoor season. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

By Nicholas Yekikian

After eight years of coaching at UCLA, the last five of those as director of track and field and cross-country, Mike Maynard will be stepping down at the conclusion of the 2017 outdoor season.

“I want to thank Mike for his commitment and service to UCLA,” said Director of Athletics Dan Guerrero. “He is an outstanding coach and role model and served our student-athletes well during his tenure. We wish him the very best in the future.”

In his eight-year tenure, the UCLA men’s team has been top-four at the Pac-12 Championships seven times, and has been a top-20 team at the NCAA championship three times. The women have been in the top five at the Pac-12 Championships four times and top 20 in the NCAA championship once.

Under Maynard’s tutelage, track and field athletes from the men’s and women’s team have garnered first-team All-American honors more than 50 times. One of those is senior thrower Torie Owers, who was a Pac-12 All-Academic selection in 2016.

“Right now our main focus is competing well at regionals and beyond,” Owers said. “This team has a lot of talent and we are excited about the future. Coach Maynard gave us a great opportunity on the track and off, and I am thankful for that.”

UCLA men’s track and field has been victorious against USC six times in his eight years as coach. The women have won the dual meet once in that same time frame.

“I’m proud of my tenure and accomplishments at UCLA and thankful for the opportunity to have become a Bruin,” Maynard said. “I have confidence in my team and look forward to leading them through the conclusion of the season.”

UCLA will begin the search for a new director of track and field and cross-country immediately.

Nicholas Yekikian | Alumnus
Yekikian joined the Bruin as a junior transfer in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the softball, men's soccer, women's volleyball, track and field, cross country and rowing beats.