Political scientists discuss hypothetical implications of Pence presidency

Lisa Graves, the executive director of the Center for Media and Democracy, said she thinks Vice President Mike Pence would roll back protections for women and LGBTQ individuals if he becomes president. (Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

By David Yaghutiel

Political scientists and professors speculated Vice President Mike Pence might emphasize his evangelical faith should he become president at a Tuesday night forum at the Hammer Museum.

The speakers discussed Pence’s political history, affiliations and religious beliefs, and how they would inform his decisions and policies as president if President Donald Trump is impeached or resigns.

Political scientist Marjorie Hershey said she thinks that as president, Pence would pursue similar political policies as Trump, but with more control.

She added she thinks Pence would have a similarly hostile relationship with the media and reluctance to disclose information to the public, but would emphasize traditional Christian values more strongly than Trump.

However, Hershey also said she thinks Trump is unlikely to be impeached because of the Republican majority in Congress and his support from Republican voters.

“A Pence administration would probably differ from a Trump administration only in that it would be a lot more organized and more effective in its dealings with Congress,” Hershey said. “But, I wouldn’t hold my breath until it happens.”

Lisa Graves, the executive director of the Center for Media and Democracy, said she thinks a Pence presidency would likely result in more policies against women’s reproductive rights and LGBTQ rights. She added she thinks Pence would likely fight against raising the minimum wage and would try to privatize education more.

Graves added she is unsure of how likely it is for Pence to become president, but she thinks the American people need to mobilize and protest current societal injustices.

“Whether (Trump’s low approval ratings) mean that Pence will become president is unclear, but what is clear is that our only hope is our democracy,” Graves said.

Diane Winston, a professor at the University of Southern California, said she thinks Pence is similar to the Commander, the leader of a dystopian society in the novel “A Handmaid’s Tale,” by Margaret Atwood, played by Robert Duvall in the 1990 movie adaptation.

“Ever since I became aware of Mike Pence, I’ve been haunted by Duvall’s character, and what that quiet, white, sanctimonious, male, Christian authority would look like here in the real world,” Winston said.

Some panelists said they think Pence’s statement, “I’m a Christian, a conservative and a Republican – in that order” hint what his presidency could look like.

Winston said though Pence’s family was Democratic and he organized for the party in high school, he converted to evangelical Christianity in college and embraced conservative causes.

She added she thinks a Pence presidency could either be an improvement from Trump’s first months in office or the start of what inspired Atwood to write her novel.

David Yaghutiel