Three Bruins to compete at NCAA regional for men’s golf

Junior Tyler Collier will be the only Bruin to compete at the NCAA regional in Tennessee. Two of his teammates – sophomore Cole Madey and freshman Hidetoshi Yoshihara – will travel to Washington to compete in another regional.
(Courtesy of Cliff Grassmick)

By Logan Patton

Though the UCLA men’s golf team’s season came to an end April 30, a few Bruin golfers still have some competing to do.

Three members will be participating in the NCAA regional, the first time in the program’s history that three individuals will be participating in the regional round.

“That’s unique and it shows that we have the talent. … We just didn’t have as deep of a team as we needed,” said coach Derek Freeman. “It’s going to be fun to watch them because they know exactly what they have to do, they know exactly how to prepare.”

The Bruins placed fifth at the Pac-12 championship, hitting 38 over par overall as a team, earning them a spot below the USC Trojans and Washington Huskies, who both hit 32 over par.

Freshman Hidetoshi Yoshihara also amassed an individual honor by earning his first collegiate victory at The Maxwell by hitting 1-under 209. As a team, UCLA tied with Liberty for fifth place.

Earlier in the season, junior Corey Shaun found his own personal victory in the Arizona Intercollegiate at the Sewailo Golf Club. Shaun hit a career-best 67, which allowed the team to finish in the top 10.

Back in the very beginning of the season, UCLA found success as a team and individually at the Marquette Intercollegiate at the Milwaukee Country Club in Wisconsin. The Bruins earned third place as a team, hitting a total 5-over 845, while sophomore Matt Hutchins hit 1-under 69 in his final round to tie for third.

Logan Patton | Alumna
Patton joined the Bruin in 2015 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She spent time on the men's golf and women's golf beats.