Tuesday, March 19, 2024

ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – April 28

By Rupan Bharanidaran

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive Reports

• ASUCLA Executive Director Bob Williams said the ongoing construction for the Transfer Student and Veteran Center is expected to be completed soon. He added that though the center was supposed to open last month, the builders are still finishing up last minute tasks.
  • Williams said he plans to help the board find his successor by providing advice on how the executive director search process has been done in previous years and by creating documents on some of ASUCLA’s current challenges.
  • Graduate student representative Lena Riess said the Finance Committee discussed budget projections and capital expenditures forecasted for the next five years.
  • Undergraduate representative Apsara Perera said the Executive Committee is planning its board retreat for the year. She added the Joint Operating Committee met with university administrators, including Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer Steve Olsen, to discuss ways to fund additional student spaces.
  • Undergraduate representative Nathan Glovinsky said the Service Committee discussed design plans for a new Under Armour space in the UCLA Store. He added they also discussed plans to update the Ackerman Union dining room’s design and furnishing.
  • Graduate student representative J.C. De Vera said the Personnel Committee discussed the executive director search process. He added the board also discussed this year’s executive director evaluation process.
  • Undergraduate representative Arielle Yael Mokhtarzadeh, who is also the uncontested undergraduate student government presidential candidate, said the Branding Ad-Hoc Committee discussed new taglines for ASUCLA.

Financial Statements

• Williams said ASUCLA had a relatively strong month in March, earning $90,000 in net income, which is above their expected revenue.
  • He said BearWear and e-commerce performed well. The Graduate Center performed below expectations in March because many students purchased graduation gowns earlier.
  • UCLA Restaurants had mixed performances last month, Williams said. Wetzel’s Pretzels performed well, but some of the other restaurants in the Ackerman Union had low sales.
  • Williams said Ackerman Union was below plan last month, mainly due to event bookings. He added the post office in Ackerman has been struggling with sales due to many customers pre-packaging their shipments.
  • Williams said the Bruin Custom Print shop performed well in March, in part due to sales of badges and banners to events at the Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference Center.
  • April sales have been low so far, mainly due to shortfalls in textbook sales, which have been consistently falling over the course of the year, Williams said.

Action Items

• The board approved to allow UCLA Student Media to defer a maximum of $100,000 of its debt payments to July.
Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.