McKinley likely to be Bruins’ fourth first-rounder in five years

Defensive end Takkarist McKinley is likely to be the first Bruin off the draft board at Thursday night’s NFL draft. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Matt Cummings

Whatever misgivings Bruin fans might have about Jim Mora, there’s no arguing that the coach has transformed the UCLA football program into a legitimate source of pro talent.

In the four years before Mora’s arrival in Westwood, only six Bruins were selected in the NFL draft. In the four drafts since Mora showed up, 20 UCLA players have heard their names called. Last year, eight Bruins were drafted, the most of any Pac-12 school and the most for the program since the draft shifted to seven rounds in 1994.

The list of draftees in the Mora era will grow this week, likely as soon as the first round. Mora and defensive line coach Angus McClure will travel to Philadelphia to accompany defensive end Takkarist McKinley, a talented pass rusher who’s widely projected as a first-round pick. He would be the fourth Bruin in five years to be selected in the first round.

Offseason shoulder surgery has diminished some teams’ interest in McKinley, but franchises in need of an edge rusher will have to consider him with their day-one selections.

The word that keeps coming up when draftniks and NFL scouts talk about McKinley is motor. ESPN’s Todd McShay said McKinley has the best motor of any defensive prospect in the draft this year.

“He’s not fully developed as a pass-rusher (he needs to learn how to use his hands better),” McShay wrote. “But you know what you’re getting from him in terms of effort on the field.”

Along with his impressive speed – his 4.59-second, 40-yard dash was the third-fastest among defensive linemen at the NFL combine – McKinley’s nonstop energy has vaulted him into strong first-round consideration.

McKinley could be off the board as soon as the 15th pick, which belongs to the Indianapolis Colts. New Indianapolis general manager Chris Ballard has said publicly that he hopes to bolster both of the team’s line units.

If he falls past the Colts, McKinley should still be enticing for a number of teams in the middle of the first round. The Baltimore Ravens, who own the No. 16 pick, and the Washington Redskins at No. 17 could both use pass-rushing help, as could the No. 21 Detroit Lions and No. 26 Seattle Seahawks.

And even if all of those teams pass on him, McKinley is still unlikely to make it out of the first round.

Each of the last four teams drafting in the round – the Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints – could use pass-rushing help.

McKinley is likely going to be the only Bruin selected on the first day.

Cornerback Fabian Moreau was previously in consideration as a first-rounder as well, but a pectoral injury suffered at UCLA’s Pro Day has caused his stock to dip.

“Moreau was looking like a first-rounder before (the) injury shut him down,” wrote Bleacher Report draft writer Matt Miller. “Because of injury, Moreau likely comes off the board in the third or fourth round.”

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.