New MAC Cosmetics store opens in Westwood

MAC cosmetics, which opened on Westwood Boulevard Friday, will offer makeup technique classes for customers. (Alyssa Dorn/Daily Bruin staff)

By Madeleine Pauker

This post was updated on April 24 at 2:55 p.m.

Rows of colorful lipsticks and eye shadows now line display shelves at a new MAC Cosmetics store that opened on Westwood Boulevard.

MAC, a high-end makeup store, opened in a previously empty property across the street from Urban Outfitters and Victoria’s Secret on Friday. MAC keyholder Melissa Fuentes said the company came to Westwood because the area lacked in cosmetics brands.

Manager Destiny Richard said the location will hold makeup technique classes and pass out flyers at UCLA to encourage students to attend. She added she thinks the store’s everyday makeup products will appeal to students.

“We are definitely a high-end brand with affordable prices,” Richard said. “We aren’t going to oversell (to students) and will just give them what they need.”

Richard said the company carries makeup for natural looks, as well as more dramatic styles.

“A lot of our makeup artists used to be drag queens,” she said.

Barbara Todisco, a second-year neuroscience student, said she has been thinking about buying makeup for special occasions but did not want to go to Santa Monica to find a store. She added she thinks MAC opening in Westwood will make it easier for students to buy makeup items.

However, Kristin Brill, a third-year anthropology student, said she thinks MAC’s prices may put it out of reach for most students.

“I don’t buy MAC because it’s expensive for poor college students like me, so I usually go to Target to buy my makeup,” Brill said.

Linh Le, a first-year physiological science student, said she thinks the makeup selection in Westwood was very limited before MAC opening, with most products only found in drugstores.

“MAC is a really popular brand,” Le said. “No matter where it’s located, it’s going to have a lot of customers.”

Contributing reports from Connie Zhou and April Hoang, Daily Bruin staff.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.