Tuesday, September 18

LA Mayor Eric Garcetti to deliver Luskin commencement address

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti will speak the the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs' 2017 commencement ceremony in June. (Jintak Han/Assistant photo editor)

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti will deliver the keynote address at the 2017 commencement for the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, UCLA officials announced Tuesday.

Gary Segura, dean of the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, said in a statement that Garcetti’s work reflects the school’s goals. Garcetti will speak at Royce Hall on June 16.

Mayor Garcetti has advanced efforts to reduce homelessness, enhanced environmental sustainability and expanded the transportation network of LA, Segura said.

“This form of governance is a perfect reflection of the Luskin School’s intellectual commitment to human well-being at all levels,” Segura said. “It is our privilege to welcome him as our 2017 commencement speaker.”

Garcetti became the 42nd mayor of LA in 2013 and was re-elected in the LA municipal elections March 7.