Powell Library to review lighting system following fire

UCLA workers will review Powell Library’s lighting system following a small fire Tuesday. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Madeleine Pauker

This post was updated March 24 at 8:25 p.m.

Powell Library is reviewing its lighting system following a small fire caused by a desk lamp’s light bulb Tuesday night.

Deputy university librarian Susan Parker said UCLA Facilities workers will complete a thorough check of the library’s lamps to assess their safety, but they do not appear to pose an imminent threat.

A librarian put out a flaming lightbulb in the Powell Library Reading Room with a fire extinguisher and called the Los Angeles Fire Department, but the fire was out by the time crews arrived.

Students evacuated and the library closed so workers could do a preliminary electrical examination. The library reopened later that night.

Kelly Schmader, assistant vice chancellor for facilities management, said while the other desk lamps are safe, the campus is planning to replace the light bulbs with a more energy-efficient option, such as LED lights.

“We want to complete this replacement as soon as possible, but the due diligence required to ensure we preserve the historic quality of Powell Library will likely result in this project taking a little longer than a lighting replacement in almost any another campus facility,” Schmader said.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.