Monday, September 24

USAC recap – Feb. 14

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings usually take place every week on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Special presentations

• Parking Services Director Lisa Koerbling gave a presentation about the goals and responsibilities of her department, and said Parking Services will implement new policies to reduce drive-alone rates and promote use of public transit. She also announced a proposed parking fee plan for the upcoming years.

• Karina Keus, a member of the Student Health Advisory Committee and Executive Oversight Board, discussed the possibility of adding a compounded 0.1% increase on the UC SHIP bill in future years to cover some male-to-female transgender procedures.

• Zoya Chhabra, a staff member from the General Representative 3 office, said the first UC-wide South Asian conference will take place on Feb. 19 and 20.

• USAC Internal Vice President Sabrina Zeigler and General Representative 3 Inan Chowdhury presented a USAC resolution on “Books not Bombs,” a program that encourages granting scholarships to Syrian refugee scholars.

Agenda

• The council voted to table its surplus fund allocation to discuss changes to the Contingency Fund bylaws, which would transfer the surplus into the USAC endowment fund.

• The council approved the USAC resolution for “Books Not Bombs.”

Officer reports

• President Danny Siegel said he met with the Westwood Neighborhood Council to discuss why there needs to be a better relationship between students and Westwood Village.

• External Vice President Rafi Sands said his office is looking to register voters in both Los Angeles County and Los Angeles City to vote on Measures H and S, respectively.

• Academic Affairs Commissioner Ashly Mohankumar said her office is looking to find ways of attaining greater Wi-Fi connectivity for students after her office conducted a survey where students reported issues with their internet connection.

• Facilities Commissioner Sandra Rhee said her office is working on a new program where students can ask general campus information questions, such as dining hall hours, by texting a generic number.

• Financial Supports commissioner proxy Aaron Boudaie said the office will be holding several events educating students on how to navigate their personal finances in April, which is Financial Literacy Month,

• General Representative Zoe Borden said she is looking for ways to increase Counseling and Psychological Services’ engagement with students on the Hill and Residential Life.