UCLA men’s basketball trails Oregon 48-39 at halftime

Bryce Alford spearheaded the Bruins’ 14-0 run late in the first half, hitting three of his four shots from long range. (Ken Shin/Daily Bruin)

By Derrek Li

Last time UCLA and Oregon met, a buzzer-beating fade-away 3-pointer snapped the Bruins’ perfect record in Eugene.

The momentum continued for the Ducks in the first half of the rematch as No. 5 Oregon leads No. 10 UCLA 48-39.

The Ducks hit 6-of-15 from behind the arc and their swarming zone defense kept the Bruins off balance all night. UCLA turned the ball over seven times, leading to 10points off turnovers for Oregon.

The Bruins trailed by as many as 19 points before a late flurry brought them back into the game. Senior guard Bryce Alford hit a 3-pointer to cut the lead into single digits and awakened an erupting Pauley Pavilion.

Then he drew a foul on a 3-point attempt the next possession down the floor before draining another a few minutes later. In total, Alford finished the half with 12 points and hit 3-of-4 of his 3s.

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.