The Study at Hedrick opens to students on the Hill

The former Hedrick dining hall reopened as The Study at Hedrick, which is expected to provide an alternative to libraries and study lounges for students on the Hill. (Kristie Hoang/Daily Bruin)

By Jintak Han

A new study hall and eatery opened to UCLA students on the Hill on Sunday.

More than 100 people attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony for The Study at Hedrick. The space, which is open 24 hours a day, aims to provide a different study environment from more traditional options on campus.

The Study was originally scheduled to open in fall 2016 with a budget of $8.2 million, but was delayed by a quarter with an increased budget of $9.1 million due to unexpected construction and furniture issues.

The Study has a study area with chairs and couches by its entrance. There is an enclosed study space at the center of the facility and a reading room next to the eatery section. Four glass-enclosed study rooms equipped with a television and a writable wall are available for reservation online.

Hector Garcia-Lopez, a third-year political science exchange student, said he was interested in the new space but also concerned it may be too loud. He said that since he thinks libraries close early and Night Powell is not always clean or comfortable, he will probably use the study space at night.

The Study at Hedrick offers coffee, juices, sandwiches and other cafe-style bites. The eatery section of the Study is open until 2 a.m., said Josh O’Connor, assistant director for the Office of Residential Life.

The Study also offers custom juices which can be fortified separately with vitamins and proteins. Most menu items are purchasable with meal swipes and money.

Read more:
Review: The Study at Hedrick provides culinary extravagance
The Study at Hedrick receives positive feedback from students
A fond farewell to late-night Bruin Cafe sandwiches

Jintak Han | Former senior staff photojournalist and news reporter
Jintak Han is a former senior staff photojournalist and news reporter who graduated in 2020. He served as an Assistant Photo editor from 2016 to 2017. Working at the Bruin through his entire undergraduate career since 2014, Han has won national recognition and numerous awards for his photojournalism. He is also known for his investigative reporting for the City & Crime beat. Han currently works as a freelance photojournalist and reporter for multiple news organizations.