UCLA trails No. 13 USC 23-14 at halftime

Redshirt sophomore Jordan Lasley leads the Bruins with two touchdown receptions. The wide receiver also threw a completion for 30 yards to extend one of UCLA’s drives. (Jintak Han/Assistant Photo editor)

By TuAnh Dam

Back and forth it went, with neither team seizing momentum for very long.

No. 13 USC led UCLA 23-14 going into halftime in a game marked by big plays on both ends of the ball.

The Bruins took the ball to the endzone less than two minutes into the game – a four-play, 70-yard drive capped off by redshirt senior quarterback Mike Fafaul completing a 56-yard pass to redshirt sophomore Jordan Lasley.

The Rose Bowl came to life, but UCLA wouldn’t hold on to the lead for long.

USC freshman quarterback Sam Darnold kept the drive alive after connecting with Juju Smith-Schuster on third and 17. The Trojans went for it on fourth-and-one and Ronald Jones II tied the game at seven apiece.

The Bruins drove into the redzone, but couldn’t break the tie. Freshman kickerJJ Molson’s field goal attempt was blocked by Rasheem Green, his second blocked kick in two games.

But the Trojans couldn’t capitalize on the big special teams play.

Redshirt senior defensive back Fabian Moreau stepped in front of a Darnold pass and returned the interception to the nine-yard line.

Lasley, a Serra High School alumnus, went one-on-one against fellow Serra alumnus Adoree’ Jackson two plays later, beating the USC cornerback again to put UCLA ahead 14-7.

USC pulled ahead on the next drive with Jones II punching in another touchdown on a 60-yard run.

Fafaul and the Bruin offense went three-and-out on consecutive drives, totaling only four yards as the Trojans added another touchdown to give them the first lead of the night at 20-14 after a missed point after touchdown.

USC drove down into the redzone again with three minutes left in the quarter, before a fumble and a penalty pushed them back to the 44-yard line.

Onthird-down, Darnold lobbed the ball to a wide open Jayon Brown.

The senior linebacker returned the ball, but the offense couldn’t move down the field and the Bruins punted for the fourth time of the night.

Darnold maneuvered the Trojans down the field, oftentimes extending plays outside the pocket to give visiting team a shot at padding the lead.

USC redshirt junior kicker Matt Boermeester converted a 30-yard field goal before both teams headed to the locker room.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.