UCLA basketball leads Pacific 63-39 at halftime

Sophomore guard Aaron Holiday was first off the bench for UCLA in the first half, and is second in points with 15 behind senior guard Bryce Alford. (Mackenzie Possee/Assistant Photo editor)

By Derrek Li

Pauley Pavilion is back and rocking again.

After a disappointing 15-17 record last season, UCLA was in desperate need of a jump start. In walks freshman guard Lonzo Ball, who dominated the high school stage with long 3s and a run and gun style.

[Related: Family dedication at the heart of freshman guard Lonzo Ball’s game]

Ball started off the season by draining a 3-pointer from NBA range on the first possession of the game, and the rest of the team followed suit.

UCLA jumped out to a quick 14-7 lead behind four straight 3s from Ball and senior guard Bryce Alford, all from way beyond the 3-point line. The Bruins finished the first half with 10 3s from five different players en route to a 56-39 lead.

After the pace of the game slowed late in the half, it was again Ball who brought everyone in Pauley roaring on their feet. Racing down the court on a fast break, sophomore guard Aaron Holiday floated up an alley-oop pass.

Ball grabbed the ball with one hand at the top of his flight, cocked it back and hammered it down onto a Tiger player in the way, drawing the 3-point play.

An unsportsmanlike conduct technical was called but the crowd didn’t seem to care, bursting out to “LON-ZO BALL” chants for the freshman guard who brought the excitement back to Pauley this season, finishing the half with 13 points and five assists.

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.