Vice provost Kathryn Atchison returns to faculty after five years

By April Hoang

A UCLA vice provost stepped down Monday after serving for about five years.

Kathryn Atchison, vice provost of new collaborative initiatives, plans to return to the faculty and focus on health education, according to an announcement from Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh last week.

As vice provost, Atchison helped implement new research and academic programs for students, Waugh said. She helped create the Congo Basin Institute, the first foreign affiliate at UCLA, and was Chancellor Gene Block’s representative in the UCLA Russian Flagship, a program designed to help students learn Russian.

Prior to her position as vice provost of new collaborative initiatives, Atchison served as UCLA’s vice provost for intellectual property and industry relations for about six years, Waugh added.

Atchison has been at UCLA since 1987, according to her faculty page. She is a professor at the School of Dentistry, where she served as associate dean for research and knowledge management. She also won the International Association for Dental Research Distinguished Scientist Award for Behavioral, Epidemiologic and Health Services Research in 2008.

She currently conducts oral health and health literacy research, and is funded by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research.

April Hoang | Campus Politics editor