ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Oct. 28

By Roberto Luna Jr.

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive reports

• ASUCLA Executive Director Bob Williams said Graduate Student Representative Jazz Kiang resigned from the Board of Directors. Michael Skiles, Graduate Students Association president, appointed Alexandra Latshaw to be Kiang’s replacement.
  • Williams said Ackerman Union’s new loading dock is nearing completion and should open by mid-December. He added Bruin Custom Print in the A-Level is also nearing completion and should have a soft opening by the end of November.
  • Williams presented two plans to renovate the first floor of Ackerman Union. Both plans would change the floor tiles, improve lighting, add new furniture and include bar-style seating. ASUCLA staff and the board will evaluate the plans throughout the year.

Financial reports

• Williams said textbooks and course reader sales were down in September. He added food sales were also slow that month.
  • Williams said the UCLA Store’s Monster Sale on Thursday made a $49,000 profit.
  • Williams said the UCLA Store did well in the month of October, except for the Computer Store. He said he hopes sales bounce back after the release of the new Apple computers.
  • Williams said the store did well during Bruin Family Weekend on Oct. 21-23.
  • Williams said though Sbarro closed at the end of September, food sales were high for the month of October, particularly for Wetzel’s Pretzels.
  • Williams said ASUCLA was over budget by $29,000 for the month of October. However, ASUCLA is $146,000 below budget for the year so far, he said.

Action items

• The board voted to make Undergraduate Representative Nathan Glovinsky chair of the Services Committee, replacing Kiang.
  • The board voted to defer UCLA Student Media’s debt until January. Williams said UCLA Student Media is expected to be debt-free by July 2017.
Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.