63-year-old dies after falling from UCLA Biomedical Library

By Ryan Leou

This post was updated Nov. 8 at 4:05 p.m.

A 63-year-old man died after falling from the UCLA Biomedical Library on Oct. 28.

The Los Angeles County coroner identified the death as a suicide.

UCPD spokesperson Nancy Greenstein said UCPD responded to reports of a person falling from the roof or window at 11:30 a.m. She added the person does not appear to be affiliated with UCLA.

Greenstein said UCPD is not releasing the name and is not investigating the death as a homicide.

The library was closed and blocked off from bystanders after the incident. The library opened again at about 2:20 p.m., according to police at the scene.

Counselors were stationed in the library to help those affected by the death, Greenstein said.

This is the second death on campus in less than two weeks. A 20-year-old student died Oct. 18 after falling from the roof of Boelter Hall. The Los Angeles County coroner ruled the death a suicide.

UCLA sent a campuswide email with the Bruin Support and Safety Guide, which listed support services designed to assist individuals in crisis.

“In light of the two recent deaths at UCLA, one involving a current student and the other a person unaffiliated with the university, it is important to remind everyone of the need to keep ourselves and each other safe,” said Monroe Gorden Jr., interim vice chancellor for student affairs, and Michael Beck, administrative vice chancellor.

Active Minds at UCLA will hold an event Friday at 6 p.m. for students who are affected by the Oct. 18 suicide and the man’s death, said Brooke Houser, Active Minds executive director and a fourth-year psychology student. Campus officials and several student organizations will attend to show their support.

Counseling and Psychological Services counselors are available 24/7 on the emergency crisis hotline 310-825-0768.

Contributing reports from Anjishnu Das, Daily Bruin senior staff and Madeleine Pauker, city editor.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor