Wednesday, July 18

No Offense, But: Slacktivism and Trick-or-Treating

screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-5-51-11-pm

This week, the Daily Bruin’s official Opinion podcast is joined by seasoned columnists Aaron Julian and Kristina Iliopoulos, and we tackle some of the most pressing issues facing college students: Facebook activism and trick-or-treating. So strap on your seat belts and hold on tight as you join Opinion editor Chris Campbell and assistant Opinion editor Keshav Tadimeti for the spookiest podcast yet – just in time for Halloween.

Chris Campbell was the Daily Bruin Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year. He previously served as Radio Director and as a Radio contributor. He writes about everything, but focuses on Westwood and city issues.

Opinion editor

Tadimeti is the Daily Bruin's Opinion editor. He was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2016-2017 school year. He tends to write about issues pertaining to the student body, the undergraduate student government and the administration, and blogs occasionally about computer science.

Kristina Iliopoulos was a columnist from 2015-2017.

• Drew

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Slacktivism. But I believe that the term has already been busted by various activists, scholars, professors, and journalists. Amongst activists and scholars, slacktivism is more commonly seen as not a “lazy” approach to activism but a new approach to activism. If slacktivism doesn’t make a cause go backward, then I think it is a positive contribution. Slacktivism is more of a reflection of our relationship with media and technology in modern day, not the personal concerns of individuals.