Saturday, September 22

No Offense, But: Slacktivism and Trick-or-Treating

screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-5-51-11-pm

This week, the Daily Bruin’s official Opinion podcast is joined by seasoned columnists Aaron Julian and Kristina Iliopoulos, and we tackle some of the most pressing issues facing college students: Facebook activism and trick-or-treating. So strap on your seat belts and hold on tight as you join Opinion editor Chris Campbell and assistant Opinion editor Keshav Tadimeti for the spookiest podcast yet – just in time for Halloween.

Chris Campbell was the Daily Bruin Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year. He previously served as Radio Director and as a Radio contributor. He writes about everything, but focuses on Westwood and city issues.

Opinion editor

Tadimeti is the Daily Bruin's Opinion editor. He was the Opinion editor in the 2017-2018 school year and an assistant Opinion editor in the 2016-2017 school year. He tends to write about issues pertaining to the higher education, state politics and the administration, and blogs occasionally about computer science.

Kristina Iliopoulos was a columnist from 2015-2017.

Alumnus

Julian was an Opinion columnist.

• Drew

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Slacktivism. But I believe that the term has already been busted by various activists, scholars, professors, and journalists. Amongst activists and scholars, slacktivism is more commonly seen as not a “lazy” approach to activism but a new approach to activism. If slacktivism doesn’t make a cause go backward, then I think it is a positive contribution. Slacktivism is more of a reflection of our relationship with media and technology in modern day, not the personal concerns of individuals.