UCLA swimming and diving sweeps Pink Meet events

UCLA diving scored highly at the Pink Meet with senior Annika Lenz winning the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events. Sophomore Kat Friese took second in the 1-meter final and sophomore Madeline Russell took fifth and fourth in the 1-meter and 3-meter events respectively. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Grant Sugimura

UCLA women’s swim and dive dominated Saturday but the meet was about so much more than just the sport.

The Pink Meet, held by UCLA at Spieker Acquatics Center, gathered together the squads of UCLA, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, Oregon State, San Diego and Florida Gulf Coast to compete and raise breast cancer awareness.

The usually free events had an admission price of $5 per person and 100 percent of the profit was donated to the Iris Cantor-UCLA Women’s Health Center.

After coming in fourth at the SMU Classic, the No. 19 Bruins won nine of the 13 events in their first dual meet of the year.

To start the day off, UCLA came in second in the 400 medley relay as its A squad – which consists of sophomore Emma Schanz, junior Sarah Kaunitz, senior Linnea Mack and freshman Kenisha Liu – finished with a time of 3:45.06. They were only .20 seconds behind first place finisher Florida Gulf Coast.

However, UCLA would take first in the following event. Redshirt senior Katy Campbell soundly defeated all of her opponents in the 1000-meter freestyle with a time of 10:13.52, 11 seconds faster than the second-place finisher.

Senior diver Annika Lenz may have had one of the more dominant performance out of all her teammates as she swept the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.

UCLA finished first in the 200-meter freestyle, 200-meter individual medley, 100-meter freestyle, 200-meter backstroke, 500-meter freestyle and the 200-meter breaststroke to round out the day.

Many times fellow teammates would come in close second or third. In the 200-meter freestyle freshman Cali Raukar finished third, and in the 200-meter individual medley freshman Isabella Goldsmith placed second – among many others who paced highly in their respective events.

With a week between meets, UCLA will travel up to Pullman, Washington, to compete against Washington State.

Grant Sugimura | Alumnus
Sugimura joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the women's basketball, men's volleyball, women's volleyball, beach volleyball, men's soccer and swim and dive beats.