Women’s soccer looks to convert scoring opportunities against Stanford

Freshman midfielder Jessie Fleming and the UCLA attack were stifled for 89 minutes by Cal’s defense and goalkeeper Emily Boyd. Next up for the Bruins is No. 1 Stanford and reigning Pac-12 goalkeeper of the year Jane Campbell. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

By Winston Bribach

There are three ingredients for an offensive showcase: heavy possession in the attacking third, double-digits shots on target and clinical finishing.

In Thursday night’s 1-1 draw with No. 14 Cal (10-2-1, 3-0-1 Pac-12), No. 10 UCLA (9-2-1, 3-0-1) had the first two but lacked the all-important third and failed to convert on numerous goal-scoring opportunities.

Now that No. 1 Stanford (10-1-1, 3-1-0) is coming to town, the team knows it cannot afford another wasteful display from the front line.

10.8.sp.wsoccer.Stanfordpreview.edit1.png

“We’ve got to bring it against Stanford,” said redshirt senior forward Courtney Proctor. “They are another tough team like Cal is, and hopefully all of our chances will be put away in that game.”

The Cardinal will enter Drake Stadium on Sunday afternoon with redemption on their minds. Stanford was unbeaten in its first 11 games, but USC thoroughly outplayed the Cardinal on Thursday and saddled them with a 3-0 loss.

“Stanford lost (to USC), so they’re going to come with some extra motivation,” said UCLA coach Amanda Cromwell. “We have to be really smart about our game plan.”

Considering the Bruins’ recent performances at home, breaking down a highly organized team like the Cardinal will not be an easy task. For one, they have two newly-minted U.S. national team players in junior midfielder Andi Sullivan and reigning Pac-12 goalkeeper of the year Jane Campbell, a senior.

Campbell was suspended for the USC game for receiving a red card against Washington, but will be back in between the pipes against UCLA.

The Bruins’ offense cannot lose out on opportunities – like it did against Arizona State and Cal – by playing one pass too many and trying to force its way through a congested middle of the defense.

“We need to improve our final pass, for sure, and know when to get it wide,” Cromwell said.

On the other hand, the Bruins have done many things right in their seven-game unbeaten streak. The back line’s collective athleticism and organization has made them difficult to break down on a consistent basis.

In the attack, chance creation is not an issue, The midfielders and forwards routinely rack up decent opportunities like they did against Cal. Possession has also been UCLA’s friend in numerous games.

Keeping up this pattern will be paramount for the Bruins on Sunday when they look to grab a statement result against the top-ranked team.

“We just need stay focused and build off what we did (against Cal),” said redshirt junior right back Zoey Goralski. “I think we did really well on the build and we have to continue that on for Stanford.

Winston Bribach | Alumnus
Bribach joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He spent time on the gymnastics, women's basketball, women's soccer and beach volleyball beats.