Tuesday, March 19, 2024

LGBT center to kick off National Coming Out Week with resource fair

The LGBT Resource Center is planning events for National Coming Out Week, which begins on Monday, October 10. (April Hoang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Laurel Scott

The LGBT Campus Resource Center will hold its sixth annual resource fair Friday in anticipation of National Coming Out Week, which begins Monday.

The fair’s purpose is for campus and community LGBT organizations to offer resources and information to students, said Kevin Medina, the program coordinator for the LGBT Resource Center. Students can also eat rainbow cupcakes and learn how to get more involved in the community.

The fair will take place in the James West Alumni Center from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and will be open to all students. More than 20 different organizations will be present, including TransUP, BlaQue and OUTLaw, Medina said.

“We use this fair to kick off the week and tell students how they can get involved, both during this academic quarter and beyond,” Medina said.

[Related: LGBT center now offers free pads and tampons]

Student groups will offer flyers and pamphlets with information about how to get involved in their respective organizations, and community resources such as the Los Angeles LGBT Center will discuss resources for physical and mental health as well as job and internship opportunities, Medina said.

“One of our main goals is to get new students, particularly freshmen and graduate students, a one-stop shop where they can ask questions,” Medina said. “This resource fair has leaders from each organization that they can talk with in person.”

Medina added the LGBT Resource Center will have a full week of programming during National Coming Out Week. The center plans to have a reception at the Kerckhoff Art Gallery on Monday, host UC student regent Marcela Ramirez to speak about her activism and advocacy work Tuesday and screen the movie “Letter to Anita” on Wednesday.

“Every year is different because different students organize (the events),” said Raja Bhattar, director of the center.

Contributing reports from Meghan Hodges, Daily Bruin reporter.

Laurel Scott