Monday, May 6, 2024

Q&A: Rebel Yell sports editor previews UCLA vs. UNLV showdown

Eddie Vanderdoes and the Bruin’s defensive line will have to contain the Rebels’ Johnny Stanton, who went 12/15 and threw three touchdown passes last week against Jackson State University. (Miriam Bribiesca/Photo Editor)

By TuAnh Dam

To get some inside information on the UNLV football team, Daily Bruin Sports reached out to The Rebel Yell – UNLV’s school newspaper – and asked a few questions about the Rebels before their upcoming game against UCLA this Saturday.

All of the responses below come from Mark Chisholm, an assistant Sports editor at The Rebel Yell.

Daily Bruin Sports: How does this Rebel team compare to the one from last year? Are they better equipped to handle a Pac-12 team like UCLA, and does it feel like Tony Sanchez has had a better chance to instill a winning attitude in his second year?

Mark Chisholm: This year is a completely different team. Last year, they were being introduced to a new coaching system. This year they look as if they are all on the same page. Coach Sanchez has more control over this team than he did last year. After our dominating win against JSU, the winning attitude has been instilled. When I asked some of the players about the UCLA game, they answered that they are a lot more prepared than last year.

DB Sports: Last year, Sanchez said after the game that UCLA was just more physical than UNLV at the point of attack. The Bruins, in reaction to struggles against teams like Stanford and Nebraska, actually spent the offseason getting even bigger and more physical. Has UNLV done the same and how prepared are the Rebels to deal with the brawn of a major-conference team?

MC: During the offseason, the Rebels absolutely made it a key goal to get bigger and stronger. While defense was their weak point, they have managed to improve all around this off season.

DB Sports: The Rebels were 6-of-23 in the passing game for just 56 yards last year against the Bruins. With Kendal Keys out for the season and Brandon Presley out this week, is there any reason to believe UNLV can do anything through the air against UCLA?

MC: The Rebels top receiver, Devonte Boyd, showed us that he can handle being the go-to on offense. Now that it looks as if we have some stability at the QB position, I believe that or air attack will improve from last year. We have a very balanced offense where our run game complements or passing game.

DB Sports: Boyd is obviously a dangerous receiver who does a ton of damage against the rest of the Mountain West and recorded 55 yards last season against UCLA. How will he fare against top-notch competition now that he’s got Johnny Stanton IV at quarterback?

MC: Boyd and Stanton have great chemistry. Against JSU, Boyd caught three touchdown passes from Stanton. UCLA does have great defense, but the pressure on Boyd will only open up other targets for Stanton. I do believe Boyd is a great receiver and will make his presence known on the field.

DB Sports: How will the Rebels be able to stack up along the offensive line against a UCLA front with extremely talented guys like Eddie Vanderdoes and – if he’s able to play – Takkarist McKinley?

MC: This offensive line is all on the same page and ready to take on anyone. Last week, Stanton went 12/15 with 300+ yards and three touchdown passes. Our line is showing great protection for Stanton. Not only do they give Stanton the protection he needs, our running game really opened up as a result of our line. So the will have to step up when it comes to UCLA, but they will be ready.

DB Sports: What will have to happen for UNLV to pull off an upset on Saturday?

MC: UNLV would have to remain on the same page and take it one play at a time. Offensively, they would need to control the tempo and keep the defense on their heels. Defensively, they would have to play with confidence and keep the pressure on UCLA. In order for the Rebels to win, game control would have to be key.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.