Olympic women’s volleyball team scores bronze under Bruin alum coach

UCLA Alumna Karsta Lowe recorded four kills today in the bronze medal match against the Netherlands. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By David Gottlieb

Another Olympics, another medal, but for the second consecutive Olympics, the U.S. women’s volleyball team couldn’t capture gold.

UCLA alumnus Karch Kiraly only lost one match – the semifinal – during his time as Team USA’s coach. That loss sent Kiraly and his athletes to the bronze medal match against the Netherlands, which team USA won in four sets Saturday.

The Dutch gave the Americans their most difficult match in pool play, a five-set victory that nearly gave Team USA its first loss for a 1-1 record at the time. The Netherlands continued to fight hard against the U.S. in the bronze medal match, scoring at least 19 points in every set and as many as 27 in the second set.

UCLA alumna Karsta Lowe, a former teammate of several players on the current UCLA women’s volleyball team, picked up four attacking points and an ace to help her team take home the hardware.

David Gottlieb | Alumnus
Gottlieb joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, women's volleyball, men's golf and women's golf beats.