Rio recap: Aug. 10

UCLA water polo alumnus Josh Samuels scored a hat-trick in the American’s win over France. It was Team USA’s first win at the 2016 Olympics. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Daily Bruin Sports

This year, at the 2016 Summer Olympics, 36 past, current and future UCLA athletes will compete in Rio de Janeiro. Each day, the Daily Bruin will wrap up the different events with Bruin highlights, key performances and upcoming events.

Men’s Water Polo

USA vs. France

Team USA switched up its starting seven in its 6-3 win over France. UCLA alumnus Josh Samuels – a regular starter – was replaced along with a handful of others by more inexperienced senior national team members.

After giving France the opening goal, the Americans shut their opponent out for the next 22 minutes, during which time Samuels scored a team-high three goals. His second put USA up 5-1 at the end of the first half. France’s remaining two goals came in the final four minutes.

He also seems to be the go-to sprinter for coach Dejan Udovicic, having done the honors at the beginning of the quarter more times than any of his fellow teammates thus far, and added two more sprint victories to his resume Wednesday.

Rising junior Alex Roelse once again found himself in foul trouble, registering two exclusions before halftime.

Samuels, Roelse and the rest of the United States’ men’s water polo team will play Montenegro on Friday. Both teams are tied for fourth place in Group B’s preliminary round.

Written by Michael Hull, Assistant Sports editor

Women’s Volleyball

USA vs. Serbia

UCLA alumnus Karch Kiraly and his United States’ women’s volleyball squad beat Serbia 25-17, 21-25, 25-18, 25-19 on Wednesday to remain atop the Group B preliminary standings.

Serbia and the United States team never were too far apart from each other at the beginning of each set points-wise. America was up 15-13 in the opening one before taking control, and when Serbia reached 20 in the second set, USA was two points behind. In the fourth, things were tied at nine apiece before the Americans went on a 7-2 run.

Karsta Lowe, a UCLA graduate along with her team’s head coach, recorded four kills – the most in a single Olympic game for her so far.

USA will play Italy on Friday.

Written by Michael Hull, Assistant Sports editor.

Women’s Basketball

Canada vs. Senegal

Following a tight come-from-behind win over Serbia, Canada easily defeated Senegal 68-58 on Tuesday evening. The victory was Canada’s third of the tournament, and it remains one of the two undefeated teams in Group B alongside the United States.

The Canadians started off slowly, failing to score until the fourth minute of play, allowing Senegal to build an early 5-0 lead.

Once Lizanne Murphy’s jump shot put Canada ahead halfway through the first quarter though, the team came alive. Canada did not fall behind for the remainder of the game, and led Senegal by up to 16 points on two different occasions.

UCLA alumna Nirra Fields, who was a key contributor in Canada’s win against Serbia, had little impact in the victory over Senegal. In her 11 minutes on the court, she made only one free throw and two assists, while missing both of her field goal attempts.

With only two games left in the group stage and at second place in the standings, Canada is in excellent shape to qualify for the quarter finals. It will take on the United States this Friday in a fight for the top spot in Group B.

Written by Dylan Sanders, Daily Bruin contributor.

Daily Bruin Sports