Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Football training camp showcases strong player performances

Sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen, who has drawn criticism in the past for his social media posts, acknowledged that he has to be more mature in how he conveys his thoughts. (Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

By Matt Cummings

Josh Rosen made it just a few minutes into his post-practice interview Monday before he offered up the quote of the day.

UCLA’s star sophomore quarterback, fresh off the release of a Sports Illustrated exclusive interview and an accompanying cover shot, said that he’s not going to change the way he thinks, but that he is making a conscious effort to change the way he acts and talks.

Why? It’s for the kids.

“I have to be a little more mature,” Rosen said. “I have the same thoughts but I just have to be able to convey them professionally and better – (be) a little less offensive – because I understand that I’m a role model (for) kids, and I have to kind of clean up that act.”

He said he regrets using profanity to make his point in his infamous Instagram post regarding Donald Trump.

Other Notes

1. Players made it clear how happy they were to be in Westwood for the first week of fall camp rather than in San Bernardino, where coach Jim Mora has held the entirety of each year’s camp throughout his tenure.

“It’s a blessing – there’s a cool little breeze instead of being in the dying hot sun,” said junior defensive back Jaleel Wadood. “Everybody’s happier, because when you come to practice, you don’t just have the sun beating on you for two hours.”

2. The Bruins looked much smoother Monday than they did on the first day of spring practice. UCLA’s young receiving corps, which had some trouble catching the ball in the spring, appeared much more comfortable.

Freshman tight end Jordan Wilson made a couple of impressive downfield catches, and freshman wideout Theo Howard added one as well.

Senior receiver Ishmael Adams, a converted defensive back, did drop a couple passes.

3. Redshirt sophomore fullback Ainuu Taua showcased the power in his 294-pound frame on a pass play in the flat, blowing through the defense and barreling over freshman defensive back Keyon Riley.

“I don’t think (Taua) meant to run him over – I think he got on track, and maybe he couldn’t get off track at 294 (pounds),” Mora said. “If you keep seeing those types of things out of a guy like (Taua), you (think), ‘maybe we’ll throw him the ball out in the flat, let him turn it up and see if a 180-pound corner wants to tackle a 294-pounder.’”

4. Sophomore weak-side linebacker Josh Woods looked explosive during an early-practice blocking-sled drill – linebackers coach Scott White had especially high praise for Woods, noting his work as “exceptional.”

Freshman middle linebacker Lokeni Toailoa also looked strong.

5. Redshirt junior defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes, a former five-star recruit who suffered a season-ending ACL injury in last year’s opener against Virginia, was back with the team Monday and looked ready to play a major role for the Bruins.

“He gives us a veteran presence,” Mora said. “He’s an outstanding player, he’s been an outstanding player. He gives us another big body. Now you’ve got Eli (Ankou) and (Vanderdoes) both around 320 (pounds). Both are big shouldered, wide-bodied guys, which we need.”

6. The coaching staff gave freshman quarterback Devon Modster a large portion of the offensive reps Monday, with Mora noting after practice that Modster looked good.

“I was really, really impressed with Modster,” Mora said. “He made some great throws, the game didn’t seem too big for him. Now once again, I want to temper that by saying it’s the first day.”

7. Sophomore wide receiver Cordell Broadus, the son of rap legend Snoop Dogg, is no longer with the team, Mora said after practice. Broadus, who has previously shown an interest in film, will pursue other passions, Mora said.

“This is an incredibly talented man in so many areas – it will be fun to watch what he does with his life,” Mora said. “We haven’t heard the last from him, it’s probably just the start.”

8. Redshirt junior Scott Quessenberry, who will serve as the team’s starting center after the expected transfer of Jake Raulerson fell through, is rooming with Rosen during fall camp to help build their connection.

“He doesn’t snore, which is fantastic,” Quessenberry said. “So it’s really low-key. We like to hang out, watch TV and then we’ll go to sleep.”

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.