UC Regents preview – July 19-21

By Alyssa Hsu

July 18, 2016 12:19 a.m.

The University of California Regents, UC’s governing body, will meet for its bimonthly board meeting from July 19 to 21 at the UC San Francisco Mission Bay campus. The regents will discuss student food insecurity, appoint a student regent for 2017-2018 school year and agree on a budget for the 2016-2017 school year.

Tuesday

• The Committee on Compliance and Audit will vote on the Ethics and Compliance Program plan, which develops ethical rules for the UC system, for the 2016-2017 academic year. The committee will focus on safety, research compliance and government reporting, among other topics.

• The Committee on Grounds and Buildings will give updates on plans for the North Torrey Pines Living and Learning Neighborhood in UC San Diego and housing strategies for UC Santa Cruz.

• The committee will also vote on a variety of funding plans, such as a budget for the Geffen Academy and plans for the Warner Graduate Art Studio renovation at UCLA. The Geffen Academy is a planned private college preparatory school partially designated for UCLA staff and faculty, funded by a $100 million donation from David Geffen. The Warner Graduate Art Studio is a studio specifically for art graduate students located in Culver City which recently received $31 million for renovations.

Wednesday

• The Special Committee on Selection of a Student Regent will appoint a student regent for the 2017-2018 school year.The committee recommended Paul Monge, a UC Berkeley law student. He is set to serve from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.

• The Committee on Finance will hear updates on the 2016-2017 budget, which has increased relative to last year. It will also review financial data, student performance and campus diversity of UCSF, UC Merced and UC Santa Cruz.

• The committee will also discuss campus security because of the June 1 murder-suicide at UCLA.

Thursday

• The Committee on Finance and Grounds and Buildings will amend and vote on the 2020 Project at UC Merced. This project aims to maintain and build infrastructure and facilities to accommodate increased enrollment at UC Merced.

• The committee on Education Policy will discuss the results of the UC’s food insecurity study, which found 40 percent of students are food insecure. In response, UC President Janet Napolitano commissioned $3.3 million over two years in order to give more students access to nutritious foods.

• The Committee on Compensation plans to vote for a policy revision on senior management officials who also participate in other professional activities such as consulting. The revision would require senior management officials to get another level of approval from their immediate supervisors for outside activities. The proposal is an attempt to prevent potential conflicts of interests and ensure senior management prioritize their UC responsibilities. The revision comes after Napolitano suspended UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi for taking several lucrative board positions with textbook companies and for-profit universities.

Alyssa Hsu