Incoming basketball recruit withdraws due to academic reasons

By TuAnh Dam

June 29, 2016 9:33 a.m.

Incoming freshman basketball player Kobe Paras has withdrawn from UCLA “due to academic conditions of his admission not being met,” as announced by the school Wednesday morning.

The point guard from the Philippines signed a letter of intent with the Bruins this past fall. The 6-foot-6 guard played high school basketball at Cathedral High School in Los Angeles the last two years, averaging 15 points per game as a junior.

In 2013, Paras helped the Philippines capture a gold medal in the FIBA Asia Under-18 3×3 Championship for Boys and Girls. In June 2015, he won the FIBA 3×3 Under-18 World Championships’ slam dunk contest representing his native country.

Paras along with fellow signees Lonzo Ball, T.J. Leaf and Ike Anigbogu were members of the 2016 recruiting class that was ranked ninth in the nation according to ESPN.com.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.