Coach Jim Mora signs two-year contract extension with UCLA

Jim Mora and UCLA have agreed to a two-year contract extension that will keep the head football coach in Westwood until 2021. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By TuAnh Dam

June 7, 2016 11:01 a.m.

UCLA football coach Jim Mora has signed a two-year contract extension through 2021, UCLA Athletics announced Tuesday morning.

Under his current contract, Mora was slated to make $21 million through 2019 and up to $930,000 in performance bonuses. Over his years in Westwood, the fourth-year head coach has compiled a 37-16 record and has had 20 of his players drafted into the NFL. This past April, the Bruins had eight players drafted overall, the most of any collegiate team behind only Ohio State and Clemson.

His athletes have earned multiple individual honors as well. Current Minnesota Viking Eric Kendricks captured the Butkus Award, given to the top linebacker, and the Lott Trophy in 2014 while teammate Anthony Barr won the Lott IMPACT Trophy in 2013. Last year, kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn won the Lou Groza Award after setting the Pac-12 record for most points by a player.

Mora was instrumental in the fundraising and planning of the Wasserman Football Center project, a state-of-the-art football-specific training facility.

UCLA will open the 2016 season against Texas A&M on September 3rd.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.