Presidential primary candidate endorsement: Hillary Clinton

(Creative Commons photo from Keith Kissel via Flickr)

The Daily Bruin Editorial Board endorses Hillary Clinton in the Democratic presidential primary because the experience she gained as first lady, her two terms spent as a senator from New York and her service as secretary of state under President Barack Obama’s administration have given her the political understanding necessary to effectively carry out her platforms.

As first lady, Clinton advocated for health care reform through the Health Security Act, which aimed to provide universal health care for all Americans. Although Congress ultimately failed to pass it, the bill provided the philosophical foundation for Obama’s Affordable Care Act. She also supported children’s welfare through the Adoption and Safe Families Act, which altered the foster care and adoption system to focus more on children’s health and well-being.

Clinton also served as a two-term U.S. senator from New York from 2001 to 2009. During her tenure, she voted against former President George W. Bush’s tax cuts in 2001 and again in 2003 and supported the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, which provided a $700 billion bailout to the United States financial system during the 2007-2008 financial crisis.

As secretary of state, Clinton worked toward establishing national security and encouraged the president to send U.S. special forces to Pakistan for an ultimately successful mission to kill al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden. She has also become a strong advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights and helped establish the first U.N. resolution on LGBT human rights, explaining that, “Gay rights are human rights, and human rights are gay rights.” Clinton also helped pass anti-discrimination laws that prevented gay couples from being denied adoption rights.

Although Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vt., is not likely to win the primary election, he has received widespread support across the country, especially from college students. His policies’ popularity should be a signal to Clinton that the country is ready for such changes and as a result, she should consider incorporating some of his more liberal ideals into her plan because she has proven herself to be the candidate most able to accomplish those goals.

If Clinton becomes the Democratic Party nominee, we expect she will ultimately unite the party and use her political expertise to effectively run a formidable presidential campaign.