Man sentenced to nine years in prison for multiple Westwood robberies

By Madeleine Pauker

A man who has robbed six people in Westwood Village since September was sentenced Monday to nine years and four months in state prison.

Dennis Toliver pleaded no contest to two counts of first degree robbery and robbery charges from previous arrest at a preliminary hearing at the Airport Courthouse Monday morning. In addition, a court commissioner ordered Toliver to pay a restitution fine that will compensate people he robbed.

Police arrested Toliver in February in Westwood Village. LAPD previously arrested Toliver in Westwood for robbery in March 2015 but never convicted him, said LAPD detective Luz Glorioso.

Toliver robbed a grocery clerk, people using ATMs and people getting out of their cars in Westwood, said Alexander Schlegel, a West Los Angeles robbery detective, in February. In each robbery, Toliver hid a cellphone in his jacket pocket and pressed it against their backs, pretending it was a handgun, Schlegel added.

Toliver’s attorney, Tami Warren, requested a restitution hearing to negotiate how much Toliver would pay the victims of his robberies.

Toliver’s restitution hearing will be held July 25 at the Airport Courthouse.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.