No Offense, But: Marijuana and Commencements

Alice LIn/Daily Bruin

By Chris Campbell, Catherine Liberty Feliciano, Ara Shirinian, and Abhishek Shetty

Seven propositions have been confirmed for California’s ballot in the November election, including a proposal to fully legalize marijuana. But is it really all it’s cracked up to be? The columnists discuss the potential impacts on the black market and underserved communities.

Later, they cover the commencement speeches given by President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. Both stressed the need for new graduates to seek out wider ranges of opinions and beliefs.

Chris Campbell | Alumnus
Chris Campbell was the Daily Bruin Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year. He previously served as Radio Director and as a Radio contributor. He writes about everything, but focuses on Westwood and city issues.
Catherine Liberty Feliciano was a news reporter and a staff representative on the Daily Bruin Editorial Board. She wrote stories about Westwood, research and student life. She dabbled in video journalism and frequently wrote #ThrowbackThursday blogs. Feliciano was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year.
Ara Shirinian | Alumnus
Ara Shirinian was an assistant opinion editor from 2015-16 and an opinion columnist from 2014-15. He writes about technology, transfer students and Westwood.
Abhishek Shetty | Opinion staff columnist
Shetty is a senior staffer in the Opinion section and a staff representative on the Daily Bruin Editorial Board. He was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2017-2018 school year and previously contributed as an opinion columnist. He writes about topics including the undergraduate student government and the UCLA administration.