Professor named interim vice chancellor of Academic Personnel Office

Michael Levine, a professor of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences, was appointed to be the interim vice chancellor of academic personnel. (David Geffen School of Medicine)

By Rupan Bharanidaran

UCLA officials appointed a professor as interim vice chancellor for the UCLA Academic Personnel Office last week.

Michael Levine, a professor of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at the David Geffen School of Medicine, will replace Carole Goldberg on July 1.

Levine was a special assistant to the vice chancellor and gave Goldberg advice about faculty member issues, said UCLA Executive Vice Chancellor Scott Waugh in an email to faculty and staff Thursday. He also gave input on academic personnel policies and spoke at workshops about faculty issues.

Levine said he aims to continue Goldberg’s work, including implementing Opus, an online system that will digitize the faculty review process. Levine said the new system, which has been under development for the past five years, is in its first phase and will continue to develop in the next academic year.

Levine will be responsible for faculty development, career advancement, housing and retirement, along with Christine Dunkel Schetter, associate vice chancellor for faculty development.

Goldberg was appointed UCLA’s vice chancellor for academic personnel in 2011. Prior to her appointment, she served as faculty and associate dean in the UCLA School of Law.

Goldberg also improved faculty retirement, worked to make faculty pay more equitable and helped develop the Geffen Academy at UCLA, a middle and high school for children of faculty and staff, Chancellor Gene Block said in an email to faculty and staff.

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.