Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Junior guard/forward Noah Allen transferring to University of Hawai’i

Junior guard/forward Noah Allen will transfer to play for the University of Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors in his last season of NCAA eligibility. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Michael Hull

UCLA men’s basketball player Noah Allen will transfer to the University of Hawai’i at Manoa, the university announced Tuesday afternoon.

The junior guard/forward played in 24 of the Bruins’ 32 games this season, where he averaged 6.4 minutes, 1.0 points and 0.7 rebounds. His best performance came in the final game of the season at the Pac-12 tournament. He scored six points and recorded three rebounds in the 95-71 loss to USC.

He is currently finishing up his degree in political science, but will go on to compete for the Rainbow Warriors as a graduate student.

Hawai’i will have to forgo the 2016-2017 playoffs thanks to a series of sanctions handed to the program late last year.

Under coach Gib Arnold’s oversight, the school’s basketball operations director partook in coaching and scouting activities, and Arnold failed to report a player who used a donor’s vehicle to the NCAA, among other violations.

When the NCAA investigated the reports, Arnold also provided false and misleading information to investigators.

Arnold is no longer Hawai’i’s coach, but if any NCAA school hires him to its coaching staff, he will be suspended for the first 30 percent of the season. The university will suffer a two-scholarship reduction for the upcoming two seasons and will be on probation for three years, in addition to the postseason ban and additional penalties.

According to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, Allen is aware of the postseason ban.

Michael Hull | Alumnus
Hull joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the men's water polo, women's water polo, women's soccer, track and field and rowing beats.