The Daily Bruin won first place for the best all-around newspaper for the third year in a row in a regional college journalism award announced Saturday morning.
The Bruin also won five other first-place awards and placed finalists in 13 other categories at the Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence regional awards. The Bruin won multiple awards for its coverage of undocumented students and of the “Kanye Western” themed raid.
The Daily Bruin competed with student newspapers from California, Arizona, Nevada and Hawaii in the regional competition. First-place winners go on to the national awards in New Orleans which will be held in September.
This year, The Bruin also won first-place awards for the Best Daily Newspaper at the California College Media Association’s annual contest and for General Excellence at the California Newspaper Publishers Association’s Better Newspapers Contest.
- Best all-around daily student newspaper (Staff)
- Best Breaking News Photo (Aubrey Yeo for USAC Election)
- Best General News Photo (Hannah Ye for “UCLA graduate student incorporates dance background into activism“)
- Best All-Around Radio Newscast (Kelly Yeo and Yuri Enokida for Long Story Short)
- Best Television Breaking News Reporting (Daniela Herrera and Justine Sto. Tomas for “Students protest Sig Ep, Alpha Phi raid, call on UCLA to address racism“)
- Best Television Sports Reporting (Collette Del Poso and Iris Lee for “The skater’s edge: Evan Bender”)
- Best Sports Photo (Aubrey Yeo for UCLA v. Stanford football)
- Best Non-Fiction Magazine Article (Kevin Truong for “Street Level“)
- Best In-Depth Reporting (Natalie Delgadillo for “A Paper Trail“)
- Best Sports Column (Tanner Walters for “Tanner’s Take”)
- Best Sports Writing (Matt Cummings for “Freshman runner makes big impact at UCLA following European success“)
- Best Online In-Depth Reporting (Natalie Delgadillo, Angie Wang, Ryan Nelson and Neil Bedi for “A Paper Trail“)
- Best Online News Reporting (Daily Bruin Staff for “Students protest Sig Ep, Alpha Phi raid, call on UCLA to address racism“)
- Best Radio Feature (Bianca Broszus for “iPLEX revolves around collaboration in planetary, space science”)
- Best Radio News Reporting (Priyanka Nanayakkara for “Pie lovers congregate at Good Food Pie Contest”)
- Best Television Feature Reporting (Iris Lee, Hoang Nguyen, Justin Sto. Tomas and Kim Garcia for “Student band entertains on stoop”)
- Best Television In-Depth Reporting (Hoang Nguyen for “Sober students speak out against stigma on addiction”)
- Best Website (Staff)
- Best Editorial Writing (The Editorial Board for UCPath, Rachel Beyda and BruinAlert)